"Paradise Road"......first house on the right

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part of the clean up involved sanding the seams on the subfloor....

I always use extended exposure stuff but this was the first time using this particular brand and I was very pleased with it's performance. If you remember it rained a bit at the beginning of this job yet there was very little little swelling along the seams and sanding was minimal....

Once everything was cleaned up I primed everything and painted the ceilings and installed the can light trims. Will put down tile backer on floor next and then paint walls. They have chosen these 6" X 24" Porcelain tiles for throughout the house......

The drywallers finished up on 2-3-14 and the clean up/floor sanding started up again downstairs and then on to the priming.......

The last couple days saw another blast of winter with a foot of snow .......

But it was toasty warm inside and I finished painting the downstairs ceilings yesterday as the temps hit the mid 40's and the snow began to melt a bit....had to watch out for it sliding off the roof though......

At a foot deep and from three stories up a "ten footer" like this.....

....would probably take a man to the ground! :D

Well that's where I am, hoping to put down 2400 square feet of backer board this coming week!

BTW yesterdays warming trend didn't last long as we woke up to snow this morning with three new inches on the ground.

Till next time.......

Nice work, you're doing a great job. Wanna' come to Orlando and build a house for me? :p

When can I start? :p I just got off the phone with a friend in Ocala that is wanting her kitchen cabinets refinished and wondered if I'd like to come down to get out of the snow.......it is tempting but spring is just around the corner, or so the Groundhog says :rolleyes:

Well guys, here I am falling behind on updates again. I'm still pluggin' away on the house and wishing for good weather.....I'm about to kill the freakin' Groundhog....according to him spring was supposed to be just around the corner but for some reason we've got dumped on at least once a week ever since Groundhog Day!! Got 8 inches last Tue and then it was 70 degrees on Friday.....and now the ground is white and it's snowing as I type. :mad:
Enough with the weather grumbling, I've been jumping around to first one thing and then another according to weather, material availability and help so I'm making progress in several areas. I'm gonna throw up a bunch of pics with short captions to catch you up a bit.

The backer board and floor tile arrived on one of those sloppy snowy days....

Driveway was too sloppy for truck but luckily the three wheel fork truck was able to make it in......

....and set everything in front of the front door.

One of my friends from work helped me some on the backer board.....

And my Son-in-law put in a couple days of "Sweat Equity" to help me finish it up....

I kept running into these one inch diameter holes while putting down the backer board???

Ah, I remember.......it rained a time or two when I was framing didn't it! So a little tape over my drain holes....

To keep the thinset from "draining" through.....

And onward with the backer board...

Hang on for more...

Once the backer board was finished I put some color on the walls....

Then with some help from my friend we started slinging tile....

I really like the looks of it.....has some pretty real looking grain to it along with a hand scraped texture.....

Here's a "Feng Shui" shot.....in the front door and out the back door....

Hang on for more....

Speaking of the front door, several months ago we ordered a 3' X 8' Mahogany door from an outfit out there in Tripper's neck of the woods and after a two and a half month "less than savory" experience with them we asked for our money back and I proceeded to try and persuade a cabinet maker friend of mine to build us a door from my daughters design. He said he could do it but a friend of his would be better for the job so he introduced us and within a couple weeks Peter turned this pile of lumber......

into this.....

..and for about the same money as the one we failed to get from Texas! Plus it's cool to have a local custom made piece. :cool:

More to come....

At $20 a square foot it's not something that's affordable for the whole house but in the two upstairs baths we went with some heat under the tile. These are custom made mats from Nu-Heat. This is the smaller simpler one of the two....

First order of business it to refer back to pre-drywall pics of buried wires and pull strings......

Then cut a hole and see if said string is indeed in there.....

Bingo!

Next dig a ditch for leads.......

Test is against factory test data.....

Looks good, so mud it down.....

And you're ready for tile........

Hang on for a few more pics.....

So this past Saturday was one of those 60 degree days and it happened to be dry so I finally got the ridge cap on the main house and installed the lightning rods.....so bring it on! Just kidding, I don't have the ground wire ran yet :eek:

Now that's "Farm Housey" ......

And speaking of farm house, I mocked up some trim for my daughter to look at. It will be a simple flat board trim with a band board here and there....

So that's where I'm at guys, anxiously awaiting spring.....and although it was nice having these guys visit the other day....

....I'd rather they be a little harder to see. :p

Till next time....

You better hurry up and finish so you can get started on Gunners garage! I'd be willing to bet you already have a project in mind for him:D

Latest posts

Back