1950 GMC build after 31 year slumber

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol! You work for UPS? Seems that is how I get some of my packages. Seems the easiest is just take the one corner off the roof. I would like the whole thing but only really need to repair one window section. [;)

I would seriously consider that, you never know when something comes up in the road and you cannot avoid it... better to have your oil pan not be the lowest point.

Good plan on the puck :)

I haven't lost an oil pan but i have lost an expensive tranny! Raised my car up a lil after that! Someone dropped their towing hitch & i couldn't avoid it! :eek:

BoB

I am still going to add a 'puck' or skid plate under there even though I fixed the ride height issues already. Moving the lower A arm spring buckets up gave me a bit more clearance. But in case I should get air borne and come down hard I would still like the extra insurance![cl

So no real updates at the moment but I did get some good stuff in the mail! DJ3100 here on the RRR hooked me up with a repair piece for the roof. It will fix the section by the drivers rear quarter window that rotted out. The section DJ3100 sent me was absolutely like brand new! I still am at awe of you guys in the south west and the tin you have down there.

And to give major props to DJ3100 for his patience, willingness to help and all around great guy. He is a man of his word and an asset to the RRR and hot rodding community. Not only did he give up some of his parts but he made sure it was exactly what I needed and was willing to make the deal right for all involved. And all this for someone he has never met! I can't thank him enough. [cl

here is the piece and the section it will replace.

ResizedImage_1362505685105.jpg

ResizedImage_1359753910248.jpg

And to give major props to DJ3100 for his patience, willingness to help and all around great guy. He is a man of his word and an asset to the RRR and hot rodding community. Not only did he give up some of his parts but he made sure it was exactly what I needed and was willing to make the deal right for all involved. And all this for someone he has never met! I can't thank him enough. [cl

This forum is a lot different than other forums I've tried. The people here are fantastic! It's a community of like minded people supporting one another as opposed to a bunch of know it alls trying to out smart one another.

The part looks great and since this is one of my favorites builds right now, I'm glad to see the problem has been solved.

So no real updates at the moment but I did get some good stuff in the mail! DJ3100 here on the RRR hooked me up with a repair piece for the roof. It will fix the section by the drivers rear quarter window that rotted out. The section DJ3100 sent me was absolutely like brand new! I still am at awe of you guys in the south west and the tin you have down there.

here is the piece and the section it will replace.

ResizedImage_1362505685105.jpg

ResizedImage_1359753910248.jpg

Sweet Happiness...:) This place is awesome! Truck's looking pretty good so far![;):cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Actually I was glad to do it. That roof has been bugging me for two years. It's too good to scrap, and I kept thinking someone could use it, but no one seemed to want it. Glad it will work for you.

And by the way, John sent the check for more than I asked and before he got the parts.

I have met several RRR guys, gotten good advice and always had great experiences.

Yep.....good people....good ideas....good advise.....

440shorty helped me out with that clutch pedal assembly for the grandkids truck....saved me a crap ton of time....good people here....no doubt about it....

The part looks great and since this is one of my favorites builds right now, I'm glad to see the problem has been solved.

Thanks Klink. Your build is one O my favorites as well. You have taken chassis building to another level

So the wife and daughter headed to the in laws house to help pack as they are moving next door in 2 weeks. That is why my yard is full of old iron. I snuck into the shop this morning and worked on the bed. I need to lower it about 4" to look right. It is a 69 chevy step side bed. I took all the crossmember out as they were not in the right places for the silverado chassis. Then I debated drilling all the spot welds on the edge flange so I could raise the floor. After looking for 1/2 hr and not finding my spot drill I took the easy way and welded 1"x1" angle iron to the sides of the sub rails. I will cut the old flange off and lower the bed over the new frame. Then weld the angle to the sides. [cl

ResizedImage_1362859383684.jpg

ResizedImage_1362859407430.jpg

Last edited:
Today I messed around with some shop tools / jigs I am building. Got them out of the way and knocked out the bed floor framing and got it mounted to the bed sides themselves. I wound up lowering the bed 3.25" from where the stock 69 chevy bed would have sat. The 47-54 AD trucks have the bed riding lower than the newer stuff. Also had to trim the rear frame about 2.25" to clear the rear crossmember of the bed. And raise the front bed mounts on the 90 chassis about 1.5". Hard to get a good side shot in the shop. I have to roll it out tomorrow so I will get one then. I also will mock up the free 48 ford rear fenders my father in law gave me.
ResizedImage_1362859383684.jpg
ResizedImage_1363039728859.jpg
ResizedImage_1363039659878.jpg

How come you make it look easy?? lol

"Ahhhww no spot weld cutters, we'll just weld up some angle, give it a tap here and there and BAM!! bed on frame"......some of you guys are like David Blaine......lol...
Seriously looks great......[cl

"Ahhhww no spot weld cutters, we'll just weld up some angle, give it a tap here and there and BAM!! bed on frame"......some of you guys are like David Blaine......lol...
Seriously looks great......[cl

I agree. Knocked it out today! Nice.

Lol! Thanks guys. What wasn't posted was me putting the bed (minus inner framing) over the chassis by my self. Then trying to trim the flange area around the new front mounts. If that wasn't enough of a comedy of errors, while I was trimming the passengers side flange with a sawzall I looked to see where the cut was going. Just then the blade caught, kicked the sawzall out of the cut and up into my hand, My hand in turn punched me under the chin and because I had my tongue out in concentration I bit it! The father in The Christmas Story has nothing on me that day!!:mad:

I hate when that happens....lol

To you I mean....I never pull any crap like that.....I just close my hand in the door I'm trying to fit..twice.....lol

So just to irritate the SGT I decided to toss the rear fendnders on today. They are the free 48 ford units my fother in law gave me. They need some major rust repair so I will be modifying the wheel openings once I do the front fenders as well. I will add some body lines to them to match the fronts too. I rolled it out just to look at the lines to see if they are looking right. [;)

ResizedImage_1363201864862.jpg

ResizedImage_1363201065416.jpg

ResizedImage_1363201009656.jpg

Latest posts

Back