1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the rumble seat was cut off I don't know, but it should make a good little pick-up.

Probably dates back to WWII, farmers could get more gas ration stamps for pickups than for a car. Lots of cars had crude beds put in the trunk or the rear was cut off and a bed stuck on. Looks like it will make a nice truck.[cl

Probably dates back to WWII, farmers could get more gas ration stamps for pickups than for a car. Lots of cars had crude beds put in the trunk or the rear was cut off and a bed stuck on. Looks like it will make a nice truck.[cl

Makes sense, and I think I'm going to like the pick-up look better anyhow.

Working on the front airbag cross member, Question how much suspension travel is normal? I get 5.25 inches as is?

Still waiting for parts:mad: Speedway put the wrong postal code on my order and it is traveling all over Saskatchewan.

Got the airbags mounted in the cross member and gussets welded in to tie the small center tube to the 8x8 boxes. My order came in from Speedway today after going on a road trip all over Saskatchewan[cl I can now start working on the hairpins and getting the axle mounted. Hopefully have a rolling chassis in a couple weeks.

Small world. I used to live in Shaunovon many years ago. Played hockey with Hailey Wickenheiser when I was a kid. I remember playing out in Dollard rink in the dead of winter, not sure if it's still standing but it was a cold rink from what I remember.
Anyway carry on. Your build is coming along nicely. Perhaps I will see you around sometime.

Small world. I used to live in Shaunovon many years ago. Played hockey with Hailey Wickenheiser when I was a kid. I remember playing out in Dollard rink in the dead of winter, not sure if it's still standing but it was a cold rink from what I remember.
Anyway carry on. Your build is coming along nicely. Perhaps I will see you around sometime.

Hey Gunz, good to here from you, Dollard rinks had it's last ice two winters ago, it's now a shop for the RM, Love to see your RR some time.

Big progress weekend, a great friend came out for the weekend to give me a hand. We got the front suspension on all worked out and installed. Lots of welding left to do, so if some of you wise builders that have way more experience than me see any problems in what I have designed and built please let me have it.

Looks real nice. Make sure none of your steering linkage can clear and not bind on anything in it's most extreme articulation. also if you mount your steering box as close it the rear pivot point of you hair pin you wil have less bump steer.

Looks good man! Keep it up.

Thanks lowbudget50

Looks real nice. Make sure none of your steering linkage can clear and not bind on anything in it's most extreme articulation. also if you mount your steering box as close it the rear pivot point of you hair pin you wil have less bump steer.

Thanks kenny c, great info right there. I have a little issue with the steering arm on the spindle hitting the mount for the hair pin on the drivers side, a little bit of grinding will take of that.

I really like your build, lots of cool touches.

I have a question about the front bag setup. It looks like the base support of the bags (pivot bars?, not sure what to call them) is bolted through the radius rod bracket. Am I seeing that correctly? If so, doesn't that place a huge amount of weight on those two bolts (one on each side)? Any concerns with that?

I am a newb to these builds, so not criticizing, just trying to understand since I still need to figure out what to do with mine.

Thanks and once again, good job on the build...

Looking good man...

But I do have a thought/concern on your front end set up... I know I have seen the cepen style fronts setup with hairpins before but I'm not sure how people get around the issue...

Here's what I see in my head. If you have hairpins and air bags up front how do you ever dial in the axle camber? Unless you always run the exact same pressure in the bags you will be putting the axle at a different angle every time you air up. (Since the suspension moves on an arc) After recently experiencing the death wobble myself it's not something you want to deal with regularly that's for sure...

That being said even though mine is on a 4 link front and rear... I still can affect the axle angle by being at a different ride height in the rear.. But my front end geometry is always the same

Just food for thought ...

Latest posts

Back