1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone, I like how it's coming together. I got the TH350 out of the donor car and bolted to the back of the motor and in the rod, so now I can fab up the cross member. Then figure out the steering box, probably going to have lots of questions for it.[S

Gunzenrosa, I think you started something with adding inventory, picked this up today for the horrible sum of $50. Less than a 1/4 mile from home right under my nose[S

Nice score. However I won't accept responsibility, well maybe a little. Tis the season to exchange old tin. I just figured I'd get a jump on things. Just wish I got as good of deal as you did. That's awesome. [cl

Another important piece falls into place.

I have been real busy at work so not much time to work on the old girl. Been really testing the grey matter trying to figure out the steering. I tried all sorts of ways to make cowl steering but with the style of arm on the Ford axle it just wouldn't come together. I picked up the GM power steering box I have and set it in a bunch of spots that just didn't work, my cell phone rang and I absentmindly set the box down in this spot while I answered the phone.

When I was done with the call the little ballpeen hammer in the sky gave me a wack up side the head and I re-positioned the box a little and wallah I believe cross steering will work awesome.[S

Not sure if you have or not but look up flaming river. They do a cowl steering set up that I think can easily be mimicked by building a pitman arm extension. Perhaps you could incorporate the same idea where your steering box is now and run the output shaft/pitman arm extension through the frame? Unless you are set on the cross steering idea. Not sure if that would work or not with the ce pen system in the way. But honestly I don't have enough experience to know so or not.
I wanted to do the cowl steering myself but have no room to do so in the cowl and a rather heavy front end to use a small steering box like the corvair or vega boxes. I'm set up for power steering and I'll need it.
I'm interested to see what you come up with as that's where I'm at in my build as well.
The grill looks good. Keep at it.

Not sure if you have or not but look up flaming river. They do a cowl steering set up that I think can easily be mimicked by building a pitman arm extension. Perhaps you could incorporate the same idea where your steering box is now and run the output shaft/pitman arm extension through the frame? Unless you are set on the cross steering idea. Not sure if that would work or not with the ce pen system in the way. But honestly I don't have enough experience to know so or not.
I wanted to do the cowl steering myself but have no room to do so in the cowl and a rather heavy front end to use a small steering box like the corvair or vega boxes. I'm set up for power steering and I'll need it.
I'm interested to see what you come up with as that's where I'm at in my build as well.
The grill looks good. Keep at it.

I looked at the flaming river site they have some pretty cool stuff. I think the cowl is just too short on the Essex to do it and still have room for pedals and feet. I'm pretty sure the cross steer is going to work out, I ordered a right side cross steer tie rod and a couple of drag links to set it up. I will have to clearance the engine cross member a little and build a bracket for the steering box, but is should eliminate any bump steer problems.

Have been waiting for parts to come in and work has been crazy so not a lot of progress here, got two boxes from Speedway, steering parts and Lakester header kit, now to find some time to work on it

Finally some progress, got the steering box mounted on one bolt through the frame, and hooked up the tie rod and drag link for the cross steer, and we have steering. I will have to build some mounts for two more of the bolts in the box now that I have the right position.

Will have to shorten the steering column by about 3-4 inches.

Good stuff. Sorry I had doubts.
Now that cenpen design is making more sense to me. For some reason I thought it would get in the way from what I saw. I thought it dropped lower for some reason.
Carry on.

Opinions, I know everyone has one, but what's the consensus on painting the frame? Being my first build I'm trying to decide to paint or not?

[S

I prefer to paint a chassis and suspension parts.
I use an epoxy primer and acrylic enamel.
Some like to use a chassis paint like, Chassis Saver or PRO15.
You have to top coat these with a UV stable paint, where the sun hits it, to keep it from chalking out.
The others like to leave it raw.

I prefer to paint a chassis and suspension parts.
I use an epoxy primer and acrylic enamel.
Some like to use a chassis paint like, Chassis Saver or PRO15.
You have to top coat these with a UV stable paint, where the sun hits it, to keep it from chalking out.
The others like to leave it raw.

Thanks for the info, I will probably paint it then.

Not a lot accomplished was busy finishing of the boat repair that was waiting for parts, it will be out of the shop on Monday so I will have more room to work. Got the steering column shortened 4 inches fits much better now. I can now work on the Lake header kit from Speedway.

Latest posts

Back