1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent work! I got to work on a 29 Essex once. A guy came in wanting to install a toggle light switch since the column mounted switch wouldn't work. He finally decided to let me replace all the wiring, so I ended up doing the whole car with original looking cloth covered wire. The funny part was when he handed me a complete original wiring diagram and said "I don't know if this helps or not".

looking good.The pipes were a good call

Thanks NickFish,
Moving along nicely. Thanks for sharing your project.

Thanks Earthman

Excellent work! I got to work on a 29 Essex once. A guy came in wanting to install a toggle light switch since the column mounted switch wouldn't work. He finally decided to let me replace all the wiring, so I ended up doing the whole car with original looking cloth covered wire. The funny part was when he handed me a complete original wiring diagram and said "I don't know if this helps or not".

Thanks ref772 still got that wiring monster to tackle:rolleyes:

Had a goal of getting the floor installed in the cab, but man is that a lot more work than I figured. I guess not having the proper tools has a lot to do with it. A couple body dollies, a piece of 5"1/4 wall tubing for rolling and a piece of angle and flat to use with C clamps for a brake. All I got accomplished was the forward section.
Instead of buying sheet steel I used the trunk lid and one door skin off the Caprice donor.

I appreciate what you are doing and how you are doing it. You are getting a very good result even though you are using caveman techniques (like I do).[cl

Looking good. I'm at the same stage with my build. I looked into buying a press brake but the cost was prohibitive so I ended up making one myself which turned out to be rather easy. If your interested let me know and ill send you a few pictures of it.

I appreciate what you are doing and how you are doing it. You are getting a very good result even though you are using caveman techniques (like I do).[cl

Thanks bob, cave man techniques for sure.

Agree with above^^^^ [cl[cl[cl

Thanks

Looking good man. Almost looks easy in the pictures.

Thanks, almost:rolleyes:

Looks great [cl
Recycling is good rusty or.not :D

Thanks, I didn't think new shiny steel would fit anyhow

Looking good. I'm at the same stage with my build. I looked into buying a press brake but the cost was prohibitive so I ended up making one myself which turned out to be rather easy. If your interested let me know and ill send you a few pictures of it.

Thanks, I've looked at press brakes as well but can't justify the cost. I'd love to see pictures of the one you built.

hey dozer this is it . I got a 20' piece of 3x3 1/4 cut it into four pieces welded two together and used the two others for the clamp and the part thats hinged. I did grind the edge of the clamp one to make it square instead of rounded. I used some commercial hinges but I've seen people make there own. all in all I got less than $100 in it and it bends pieces up to 50'. That piece of sheet metal was the first bends I did with it

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 81
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 70
hey dozer this is it . I got a 20' piece of 3x3 1/4 cut it into four pieces welded two together and used the two others for the clamp and the part thats hinged. I did grind the edge of the clamp one to make it square instead of rounded. I used some commercial hinges but I've seen people make there own. all in all I got less than $100 in it and it bends pieces up to 50'. That piece of sheet metal was the first bends I did with it

Thanks a bunch NickFish, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner it's been an interesting two weeks, spent 9 days of it in the hospital with chest pain they couldn't figure out then had two stents put in to fix me up..

The day before I went in the hospital I put these on the project. 295 50/R15 coopers on 15x10 steel wheels.

Problem now is a dumb person on the smart end of the tape measure and the fact I ordered the wheel before I narrowed the box. I think from looking at it the wheels need to move in at least 2 inches per side!! Problem is I can't return the wheels, anyone tried cutting out the centers and changing the offset?

Engine sounds good Glen.
About the wheels, I have seen the offset changed before by doing what you suggest and cutting the centres out and re welding them. I have also seen guys mount the wheel backwards after machining the lug holes to accept the nuts.
Not sure if that is an option or not with the offset you have.

Leave it, It looks okay. After a while you won't even notice it.
Glad to see you are on your feet and you got the engine fired.

Hope your feeling better, I went thru the stent thing with my dad ten years ago. Defenatly makes you feel better when the hearts able to pump correctly.

Latest posts

Back