37 gmc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The piece sticking out of the hole turned out to be cast iron from inside the block :confused:[S
Not detrimental to the health of the motor.

The piece sticking out of the hole turned out to be cast iron from inside the block :confused:[S
Not detrimental to the health of the motor.

Somebody else here had a mystery piece... smallfoot, maybe?

I'd rather find that piece sticking out of a bare block, than swimming in the drain pan. :eek:

Yeah, that was me Doc! That motor is still humming along...never did id the piece or find where it came from...[S

Got slowed down by OP work and all I have to offer is this pic of the engine block painted.
The pic of the dash is for reference to colors I'm going with. The block is a little different and may never be noticed but, since I'm me I'll probably use the dash color itself.
Oh yea, got the heads back from getting them cleaned up and lo and behold one of them has had an intake port repaired and it's not gonna work for me.
They brazed three tacks to hold it in place and then proceeded to fill the remaining gap with JB Weld.
I've got several more heads of the same casting numbers so, I'll take another one to get cleaned, I also have a repair guy that is a magician on cast repair so, he'll be getting this one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 86.jpg
    86.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 68
  • 87.jpg
    87.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 68
  • 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 89.jpg
    89.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 67
beautiful color, I had a truck that color years ago and loved it.

on the head: some peoples kids! although it probably worked for the guy without deep reserves of spares. if you know, which method does he use for welding cast?

Arch welding with cast rod.
When he gets done you can't even see the repair. When I get it back I'll post it.

I pulled the 350 out and got started on installing the 392.
I'm totally surprised at how close the two engines are in location and motor mounts positioning.
I had to move the tranny forward 1" is all, to accommodate the big heads on the Hemi
I had measured the location of the A/C bulkhead on my buddy's 34 Plymouth Coupe and it worked out better than I thought.
The exhaust is close but, I will have to cut the collectors and ad a 45 degree down tube to clear the cowl.
Here's the progress pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 94.jpg
    94.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 99.jpg
    99.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 98.jpg
    98.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 97.jpg
    97.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 75
  • 96.jpg
    96.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 95.jpg
    95.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 93.jpg
    93.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 92.jpg
    92.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 76
A few more pics.
Today I'm gonna build the motor mounts then, put the rest of the engine together.
Here you can see how well the A/C bulkhead worked out :cool:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts

Back