disc brake conversion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1st Timer

Hey guys I have heard of people switching their ford I-beam axles over to disc brakes using junkyard parts. I hear that it is dodge discs and gm calipers. My question is has anyone done this swap? If anyone has what year axles does it work on? What discs and calipers are used? What bearings and seals do you use? Any input would be helpful because as with alot of people these days money is tight. Also I know speedway makes a nice conversion kit for my '37 axle but I was hoping to do it cheaper.

I have not heard about anyone using Dodge rotors and GM calipers on the early Ford axle. Speedway kits are a very good investment, least expensive, they are all new parts and everyone that uses them have liked them. Even if you have to wait awhile to save up for it I think you'll be glad you did.

Brakes : You need good brakes

I'm with Fuzz on this one, speedway's kit is only 199.99 for the 11" rotors and early calipers, save your money and buy a good kit, brakes are one thing you dont want to skimp on, I made a list of stuff I needed from speedway, and saved up, just kept adding to the list, and when speedway had free shipping on orders over 400.00 I ordered what I needed and saved the money on shipping.

The speedway kit I have for early ford axles is mopar rotors and gm calipers, talked with the tech on the phone about it. There are several kits, but only one works with aftermarket steering arms. I'm pretty sure its the "pre-1978" kit. You could scrounge the calipers from a pre-78 gm midsize car and maybe the rotors from a mid-size mopar, but you will still need to buy bearing adapters, bearings, and the special caliper bracket that comes in the kit. It would probably be the similar $$ to just buy the kit and you'll have all new stuff.

Latest posts

Back