Wood is good.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know yet Torchie! Got a buddy over there in Minnesota that rebuilds the oldies. I think we discussed one he had but I don't remember the particulars. I left a message on it just haven't gotten a reply yet.

Contact! I'll be discussing these with my buddy Joel in a while...he's probably not up and around yet. 4:44 am sheesh....
This was his response...:"have two Chrysler crowns with trans they will inter change or a kl all are runners take one or two free"

Torchie, if you see this message early, let me know if you have any questions and I'll relay them.

:D :D :D
Most interest would be for a K series smallfoot but like he says the Crowns will work as well.
Looking for completeness with engine mounts and trans if possible.
Also. If he has pics I can PM you my e-mail.
Supposed to be another balmy day here so I have plans to make the rounds to a couple of local boat restorers to see what they may have lying around. One guy I know that is not a restorer has 7 Century Resorters of this era stashed in his barn. All going to be "Restored" one day. See, It's not just car guys.......:)
Thanks brother......
Torchie

Last edited:
Torchie, the Hercules is a K series, babbit bearing 95 hp single carb. Complete from manifolds to prop. Send me a pm with your email and I'll give you some more info.

Today I took apart the rack I made and put it back together inside the upside down hull.
Now the weight of the hull is all on the two main stringers so I can start to level and square the hull to get any 67 year old twist and sags out of it.
Going in search of wood tomorrow.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3319.JPG
    IMG_3319.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3320.JPG
    IMG_3320.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3316.JPG
    IMG_3316.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3318.JPG
    IMG_3318.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3317.JPG
    IMG_3317.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3314.JPG
    IMG_3314.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 15
Took advantage of what appears to be our last balmy day for a while and went and picked up the first of many Mahogany planks.
These will be used to replace all the bad bottom frames.
Also managed to stop by my favorite burger place.....:)
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3324.JPG
    IMG_3324.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3325.JPG
    IMG_3325.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3322.JPG
    IMG_3322.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 18
Just in case you all thought that I had given up.....

Spent time in the shop today.
Hull is all braced and blocked. Squared and leveled.
Good thing that I have skinny friends....:p
Next step is to make patterns for the two bottom frames that were cut out then remove the chines and the keel and start to fabricate new frames.
thanks for stopping by......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3354.JPG
    IMG_3354.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3355.JPG
    IMG_3355.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3359.JPG
    IMG_3359.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3360.JPG
    IMG_3360.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 13
Things are starting to get ugly......

Pics 1-2.
Cut out some temporary pieces to hold together the bottom frames that were butchered.
Pics 3-6.
Started to remove the chine. That is the long board that runs the entire length of the outside edge of the bottom.
At some points it is screwed in place and at others it is thru bolted.
Pics 7-9
Not real happy with what I found. The Port side chine is in bad shape being cracked in at least 3 places. Both side will get replaced.
Plus whom ever did the "Repair" work covered over the nuts to the bolts that hold the chine on at several frame stations.
I will have do gently undo their repairs to uncover the nuts and try to save the hull side frames.
That's it for today...
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3368.JPG
    IMG_3368.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3361.JPG
    IMG_3361.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3376.JPG
    IMG_3376.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3378.JPG
    IMG_3378.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3374.JPG
    IMG_3374.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3375.JPG
    IMG_3375.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3379.JPG
    IMG_3379.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3372.JPG
    IMG_3372.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3371.JPG
    IMG_3371.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 7
Is mahogany as expensive up north as it is around here? Had a friend that made doors with mahogany and the really "clear" wood was really high. Keep it up...[cl

Is mahogany as expensive up north as it is around here? Had a friend that made doors with mahogany and the really "clear" wood was really high. Keep it up...[cl

Most likely smallfoot.
The boards that I bought are African Mahogany. I can use them for the bottom as it will be painted. The rest of the boat will be done in Philippine.
African is going for around $5.50 a board foot.
These planks are 4 quarter(1inch) thick and are 6"'s wide which is about the narrowest I can use. 3- 16 footers as well as 2-8 foot X 8 inch planks were around $350.00
That's just for the frame work.
The rest of the bottom planking and inner marine grade plywood will be around another grand.
The 60 tubes of 3m5200 that I will use to bed the bottom planks with is running around $18-20.00 a tube. And I haven't even added in the price of the 2000 new silicone bronze screws.......
Wooden boats like this one have really gotten out of reach for the average person to restore.....
But I'm not the one writing the checks on this one.......:)
This is going to be a looooong term project.
Torchie

just caught up on this.. looks like a ton of work.. keep at it!

Latest posts

Back