My 61 Ranchero, First build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
61 Rust bucket..Ranchero! This is my first build and due to money its gonna be a slow one...This is what she looked like when I first got her home and started on her!

Attachments

• IMG_4247.jpg
    IMG_4247.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4248.jpg
    IMG_4248.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4251.jpg
    IMG_4251.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4252.jpg
    IMG_4252.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4246.jpg
    IMG_4246.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 10
Here is a few of it when we pulled it outta the weeds...be nice please i know she's rough...

Attachments

• weeds6.jpg
    weeds6.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 6
  • weeds3.jpg
    weeds3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 9
  • weeds2.jpg
    weeds2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 10
  • weeds.jpg
    weeds.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 10
Here is after a little progress...still going 2m to get good pics of all the progress!

Attachments

• weeds4.jpg
    weeds4.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 18
  • weeds5.jpg
    weeds5.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 12
  • my ranchero1.jpg
    my ranchero1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 33
any ideas on what I can do to her is appreciated...im a total newb...i dont know what direction to go with her? I dont see many ranchero rats for inspiration especially any that have more than a flat black paint job![S

The first thing I did was remove lots of rust and get her primered.
Then I stripped the interior.
Next order of business was to pull the motor.

I got the motor apart but removing the head has been a nightmare it wont come off.

I plan on trimming out alot of floorpan leaving the seat mounting bolt holes and the hump over driveshaft. The frame is rough so I will have to fabricate reinforcements.

I am also thinking to replace the timing chain. Do you guys think that will be necassary? once the head is removed Ill get that over to the local machine shop. A full rebuild kit for this motor is about 500 bucks. Im looking for opinions on rebuilding this one or trying to find a larger, running motor for similiar price?

I am not the best thread poster or mechanic so have patience with me;)

Attachments

• IMG_4416.jpg
    IMG_4416.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4424.jpg
    IMG_4424.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4425.jpg
    IMG_4425.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4426.jpg
    IMG_4426.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4413.jpg
    IMG_4413.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 16
I think they look very good chopped but are not the best candidate for a first chop. I've never seen one but maybe you could get someone on here to photoshop it as a gasser. That would be different.

It would be good for you at this point to research Falcons (Ford Boards) and get very familiar with what interchanges or is easily adaptable. A Rat Ranchero gasser with a 300 six (eventually when you can) would definatly be cool. And at this point I would have to invest in a good pressure washer.:D

It would be good for you at this point to research Falcons (Ford Boards) and get very familiar with what interchanges or is easily adaptable. A Rat Ranchero gasser with a 300 six (eventually when you can) would definatly be cool. And at this point I would have to invest in a good pressure washer.:D

I was thinkin along the same lines. Those 300I6's are still easy to find. As for the paint, There is an Aussie that has a 60's Holden (I think) that had a spider web design ghost'ed into some of the paint - same idea would look very good on yours.

Rancheroo

Welcome.....my opinion...spend your bucks on motor, trans, brakes, etc. Make it safe and reliable. Worry about paint and body later. AND..have fun.

Shakey

some great ideas guys thanks for the words of wisdom. I like the gasser idea. It is in the opposite direction I would normally go prefering the slammed look but I will definately allow the look to grow on me and see where I end up.

Welcome.....my opinion...spend your bucks on motor, trans, brakes, etc. Make it safe and reliable. Worry about paint and body later. AND..have fun.

Shakey

good advice right here.... if you make it safe and reliable, it will be fun and a joy to drive. start with the basics, learn about the braking, cooling, electical and suspension systems, you won't regret it.

Rat Rods Rule, and so do you guys thanks for all the advice. I checkedout all the ford forums I could find. The one reply I got said buy a Hollander Interchange book so Ill be trying to get one of those ASAP.

I know the front suspension bushings are all dry rotted and some have come all the way off. I am gonna start with the suspension next I think Since funds for a motor rebuild arent available, and suspension parts are cheaper. One of my leaf springs in the rear are broke.I have access to a early 60's FORD van. I am hoping the leaf springs will interchange.

The brake pedal is locked up so I am sure I need a master cylinder as well. I am wondering as far as brakes go what can I do other than master cylinder? Remove the drums and replace pads? And inspect the lines, Is that all I should be looking at when it comes to brakes?

FordTruckEnthusiast is my goto site for Ford problems, lots of knowledge there - not sure if there is a big Ranchero crowd there though. FTE is more into restoration than rat rod, but can probably help with that motor easy enough.

As for springs, try a local spring shop. They can probably help you out. Our local shop has a guy in St. Louis that makes his own - quality stuff, and about $100 less than buying off the shelf.

As for info, don't mess around - go get a reprint of the original shop manual. NOT a generic Chiltons or Haynes. Here is a good site: http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/products.cfm

Measure eye to eye and center of spring, also width you may be able to make them work, depending on what kind of van it is. If not a lot of early mustang stuff will enterchange and falcons up to about 70 or so. Make sure you flush all the lines real good before putting any new parts down stream from the m/c. In other words start at the m/c and work you're way back Good luck.

Latest posts

Back