"Secret Willys Revival" (My chopped '53)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple G-body Monte license plate brackets would work well for that. Be spring loaded, wouldn`t need a latch. Shouldn`t be hard to find or expensive either.

scratch-head02-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000415-large.gif
Ya mean like these ???

pairofmontes.jpg

My daughter and her husband have been traveling with their jobs for over three years now and these are sitting in my driveway [ddd Do you think they'd miss'em ?:D

My son in-law's isn't running right now but my daughter still drives her's sometimes when she visits......

HRMMonteintown.jpg

.....and I take it out and blow the carbon out of it once in awhile ;)

Good idea, I may have to look for some that aren't off limits though :rolleyes:

Nice looking pair of Book ends....

scratch-head02-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000415-large.gif
Ya mean like these ???

pairofmontes.jpg

My daughter and her husband have been traveling with their jobs for over three years now and these are sitting in my driveway [ddd Do you think they'd miss'em ?:D

My son in-law's isn't running right now but my daughter still drives her's sometimes when she visits......

HRMMonteintown.jpg

.....and I take it out and blow the carbon out of it once in awhile ;)

Good idea, I may have to look for some that aren't off limits though :rolleyes:

Just kidding..nice cars... [cl

Been following the build, Snake. Looks like a fun project. And you have a good attitude about it all... Makes for an enjoyable read!

Toodles
-Andrew

Well, it's hard to believe that it's been nearly a month since I took the cab off this thing :eek: I took it off mainly to fix two holes in the floor and to make a cab mount :rolleyes:

twoholesinfloor.jpg

But as usual it grew into a bigger project and after working on it almost every day for at least an hour.........tonight I finally patched one of them !

149morefloorpatchesLarge.jpg

150floorpatchesLarge.jpg

Afterward I set my inner rocker in place again for a test fit.....

151testfittinginnerrockerLarge.jpg

I think I may be about to make it over the hump on this floor patching [;)

To be continued,

Ray

Geesh, it's been over a week since I've posted any progress! I'd like to say I have made major headway but alas I have not. Over the long last weekend I did however set myself an ambitious goal........"Memorial Day to Labor Day", three months to have this thing driving! It's probably not very realistic but there is a small car show that a friend of mine puts on at a State Park on Labor Day weekend and I'd love to debut the "Snake Farm" shop truck there......I've even made up a score board of sorts to keep track of my progress (and to prod myself along LOL) and if I can stick to it I believe I can actually make it road worthy enough to make the show.
So, after a three day lull (there goes the schedule already :rolleyes:) I did manage to make some pretty good progress this weekend. First I pushed the Willys outside and cleaned up from all the cutting out of rusty metal.

First I cut out the other cubby hole under the passenger seat and roughed in the opening with some 1/4" rod.......emphasis on 'rough'

155passsidecubbyholeLarge.jpg

Then I patched the other big hole in the floor....

156patchedbigholeinpasssideLarge.jpg

Made my other lower rocker panel.......

157inner-lowerrockersLarge.jpg

and welded them in......

159rockersweldedinLarge.jpg

the welds are lookin' much better [;)

I've learned to stand back further to take pics :D

So, the pressure is on
7b64a38c.gif
. It will be tough with my schedule this week but I hope to get that hole by the steering column patched, the trans tunnel welded in (I have it made but it will need some reinforcing and the hole enlarged to fit my shifter boot/ring) and some braces welded in where the pieces of wood are.

Stay tuned,

Ray

patchwork

the truck bottom kinda looks like my aunt's patchwork quilts:D

a little undercoat in a can will fix that right up.[dr

things l learned about a deadline/goal to git runnin'---there good to have, but often missed by things that come up and set ya back, (l know this well)

keep pumping, it'll get there.

Later:cool:

I know plenty of Jeep guys that would love to see the work you are putting into this body. I won't show them though, they would start the flaming of it not being a 4X4. I will say great job. I think it will rock (pardon the pun)

I know plenty of Jeep guys that would love to see the work you are putting into this body. I won't show them though, they would start the flaming of it not being a 4X4. I will say great job. I think it will rock (pardon the pun)

Yeah, this probably isn't a very popular site for "purists" of any kind [ddd

Thanks for checking out my build and thanks for the kind words :)

the truck bottom kinda looks like my aunt's patchwork quilts:D

[S[cl Yeah, I worked on the quilt some more tonight [;)

things l learned about a deadline/goal to git runnin'---there good to have, but often missed by things that come up and set ya back, (l know this well)

keep pumping, it'll get there.

I know we've both been a long time on our projects but I've got a good feeling about what's in store for the both of us this year........I'm betting they'll both move under their own power before the end of the year :cool:

Well tonight I extended my 'work streak' to four days ! Still plugging along on the bottom of this thing. Worked on the trans tunnel the last couple evenings, cut the hole out bigger to fit my shifter boot....

160enlargedholeforshiftbootLarge.jpg

Dug some nuts and bolts out of my stash of salvaged fasteners.....

161boltsandweldnutsLarge.jpg

Welded the nuts to the bottom of the tunnel and finished reinforcing it using some stakes made for concrete skreed key forms

162nutsweldedinplaceLarge.jpg

Stuck the tunnel in temporarily and trimmed up the hole in the floor some. Also patched the hole under the steering column and put a couple braces on the bottom of the cab........

163tunnelreinforcedandtempedinplaceLarge.jpg

Pretty productive evening [;) Don't know if my welding is improving or not but I'm getting more comfortable with it.............only had two small fires tonight :eek: . The first one ruined a good sock but I got it put out before any shoe damage occurred :rolleyes: ........the other one was no big deal, my wife said I needed a hair cut anyway :eek::D

Tomorrow night I plan to work on getting the trans tunnel fitting better and weld it in.

To be continued,

Ray

........the other one was no big deal, my wife said I needed a hair cut anyway :eek::D

I almost had this happen once, at the time my hair was 6-8 inches down my back :eek: I would have made a great candle :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work. The quilt should keep you warm after you get some headers/exhaust under it :D

Well folks, I like a build thread with lots of pics and pertinent information and I hope I've been delivering just that.........and I hope my amateur Rat Rod build is at least amusing if not interesting :eek: However, I regret to inform you that there are now pics to post tonight. :( It's not because I didn't work on the truck....I worked on it alright. I got the trans tunnel fitting a little better and started welding it in......but BOY! is it rough :eek: Couldn't stand back far enough to make it look good in a pic :eek: On the bright side though this makes the fifth evening in a row that I've worked on it for at least an hour [cl
Maybe I'll have something picture worthy in the next day or two :)

Stay tuned,

Ray

post'em

go ahead, post'em, [;)

can't be any worse looking than the wire holders l made outta old license plates tonight:eek:

Attachments

• DSCI0213.jpg
    DSCI0213.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCI0214.jpg
    DSCI0214.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCI0215.jpg
    DSCI0215.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCI0217.JPG