1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torchie i learn a while back to take a picture of things before disassembling :eek:

It'll get there and you 'll be driving before you know it. [cl

Check, check, and triple check! We're not as sharp as we used to be, so being extra careful is a good thing. It takes a lot less time to make sure things are right than to deal with the aftermath when they are wrong. :)

I do AZ then it seems like I screw it up anyways.[S But so far I have managed to catch my mistakes[cl

Torchie i learn a while back to take a picture of things before disassembling :eek:

It'll get there and you 'll be driving before you know it. [cl

Agreed soltz. I had pics of all of it but my computer crashed and I lost all the pics.:eek: But like I said. This is stuff that I have been doing since I was 14.(Which wasn't exactly last year). Just kind of frustrating.:eek:
I shall endeavor to persevere........
Torchie

I hope so soltz. Now that I have the brake shoes put back in the right way.:eek:
Went back out last night to finish buttoning up the other side and realized that I had the brake shoes on backwards.:eek: The short shoe should be on the backside of the drum.
I have got to admit to being frustrated about this. Lately things that I have been doing for 40 years I am now screwing up.:eek:
Well they are right now.
Thanks for visiting.....
Torchie

Don't feel bad Torchie, I did the same thing when I put the Fairlane 8" rear in my Lincoln. Somebody pointed it out to me from a pic that I had posted. I have been dealing with disc brakes so long, I had forgotten about the drums and shoes. You know what they say, use it or lose it. Probably a lots of stuff I have lost through the years!

"The short shoe should be on the backside of the drum."
So these install backwards??? All drum brakes I've ever done, the short shoe goes on the front and the long shoe goes on the back of the drum???
rear-brakes.png

OI, you are right, but those in the picture are self-centering brakes, so the forward revolving motion of the drum turns the front shoe around toward the back one and forces the back one harder into the drum so it does the bulk of the work.
On Torchies the shoes are anchored separately at the bottom, so each shoe is independent.
Help me out here Torchie, I'm running out of stuff.

You got it Mac. Plus Fords thought was that the front shoe did most of the breaking so it needed to be longer to compensate for wear as well.
I have seen these old Fords done with equal length shoes as well and they worked just fine.
I should have known when I looked at the ID marks that some one put on the the linings. Installed correctly they faced out. The way that I installed them the first time the marks faced the backing plate.:rolleyes:
As usual Old Henry had a better idea. At least he thought so......
Torchie

It's a roller.....

Got the front end put back under the the truck today.
No real issues.[cl
Pics will tell the story.
I am a little surprised at how high the front end sits. Hard to tell from the pics but it has that gasser look.:eek:
I knew that the suspension was frozen in the compressed position but I didn't expect it to come up so high.
I figure the weight of the Olds engine at about 650 Lbs not counting the Ford trans. Any educated guess's on how much of a drop I can look for with the engine and trans mounted?
I may have to do some changes to get it back down where I want it.
Next step is to rebuild the master Cylinder and get the brake lines run.
Thanks for dropping by....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 18
I'm educated enough to know that when I start guessing, I'll probably be wrong!:D
Motor, tranny, fenders, hood, etc. should bring it down some but if you're looking for lower, you'll just have to wait and see how much of a change you'll need to fabricate in. Looking good! What are your expectations for the stance on this Torchie?

I'm educated enough to know that when I start guessing, I'll probably be wrong!:D
Motor, tranny, fenders, hood, etc. should bring it down some but if you're looking for lower, you'll just have to wait and see how much of a change you'll need to fabricate in. Looking good! What are your expectations for the stance on this Torchie?

Here is the mockup photo smallfoot. The bottom of the cab is pretty close to level.
The way it sits now the front of the cab bottom is higher than the back. I will have to measure to know just how much as I can't get a good side view pic yet.
I am thinking that it should lower by about 2 inches with the motor and trans. Won't do any suspension mods until I get the engine and trans set in.
I may try to move things around in the garage later this week and get the truck back in the main area.
Torchie

Attachments

• attachment-2 20-42-05.jpg
    attachment-2 20-42-05.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 41
A string might help visualizing it. Set a string at dead level and look at it the best you can from the side. I know you're limited in space but you should be able to see about where it will sit if it squats 2".

Torchie, you asked for guesses on how much your truck will drop when you add the motor and transmission. I'm pretty sure mine dropped 2" when I set my Baby Hemi in and it should weigh about the same as that Rocket. Our suspensions are not nearly the same though.

Thanks for the explanation of the brakes.
I like learning things like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good to see it on the front suspension.

Torchie, you asked for guesses on how much your truck will drop when you add the motor and transmission. I'm pretty sure mine dropped 2" when I set my Baby Hemi in and it should weigh about the same as that Rocket. Our suspensions are not nearly the same though.

Here is a link to engine weights.
We are talking about a nearly 100lb difference between the stock Ford flatty and the Olds.
The Hemi is heavier than either of those Mac.
Not that any of this matters at this point as once I get the Olds engine and the Ford trans back in I will know for sure. Just kind of wondering.......[S
Torchie
http://www.35pickup.com/mulligan/weight.txt

Here is a link to engine weights.
We are talking about a nearly 100lb difference between the stock Ford flatty and the Olds.
The Hemi is heavier than either of those Mac.
Not that any of this matters at this point as once I get the Olds engine and the Ford trans back in I will know for sure. Just kind of wondering.......[S
Torchie
http://www.35pickup.com/mulligan/weight.txt
Great reading. :D Could be handy, though. Thanks for finding it.

It rolls again! YEA!

Todays project as well as a WTH........

Back to the shop to rebuild the Master Cylinder.
Pretty crudy as the pics show. But all went well till I got home.
Coming down my road I could see heavy smoke.:eek:
Called 911 and it turned out that there was a wild fire on the property that butts up to mine.
3 towns responded plus a spotter plane. Several hours later the fire is out and all is well. They said that it was the 2nd one that they responded to today.
Many thanks to the Volunteer fire fighters and the DNR.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 32
Master cylinder looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Did they comment on what they thought started the fires?

As of last night they had no idea OI. It has been real dry here and with the snow mostly gone now we have had a Burning Ban. Very well could have been some one on a ATV as we have a few roads and Lots of trails around here[S

Great work on the master cylinder :D....

Never a dull moment in your neck of the woods :)

So it seems cc. No one was hurt so all is well.
The best part of the MC rebuild is $12.00 vs $90.00 for a new one. :D

Won't be much going on for the next few days as the wife goes in for her eye surgery today.
Thanks for stopping by.....
Torchie

Latest posts

Back