1950 chevy Bel-air in the making

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.... what's the difference in these that they don't flake like some other newer chrome stuff?[S

I do know that they used to use a triple plate process that involved copper, then nickel, then the chrome. I think a lot of the newer stuff may just be chrome. I know the bike stuff is like that now,but unsure about auto chrome.

Made my way back down to the boneyard where the old '54 buick sat, and scored that bumper, it definately has some rust issues, but it 'cleaned up' nicely..... Are these old bumpers solid stainless? I didn't see any chrome plating on this one, just wondering if you guys knew anything about them...[S

I love that Buick grill!!!!!! Any chance it could be had? I would like something like that for my 52. The bumper is great for your car and looks to be in good shape.

Attachments

• 37 Plymouth truck 004.jpg
    37 Plymouth truck 004.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 28
I love that Buick grill!!!!!! Any chance it could be had? I would like something like that for my 52. The bumper is great for your car and looks to be in good shape.

Thanks!!!

I can find out, that grill does have 4 cracked bars though, if you are still interested I can find out what type of coin the guy wants at the bone yard... I'm guessing probably 50 bones or so.

Thanks BlackSheep and OldIron!! there are still come pits that are really deep, not sure what I'm going to do wit those just yet, maybe just a little more elbow grease :)

Thanks!!!

I can find out, that grill does have 4 cracked bars though, if you are still interested I can find out what type of coin the guy wants at the bone yard... I'm guessing probably 50 bones or so.

Yes if the bars aren't rotten and they appear not to be. Let me know when you get a chance to get back there, no big hurry.
Thanks.

Chrome don't getcha home

Thanks.... what's the difference in these that they don't flake like some other newer chrome stuff?[S

Hey CC,
The newer chrome stuff is often flash chrome plated, where they basically wave the part at the chrome tank on the way past. Older chrome parts spent a lot more time in the various baths throughout the chroming process, giving each layer much more depth/thickness.

This place in the UK does both, pretty good overview of the various processes.

http://www.amphardchrome.co.uk/flash-chrome-plating.php

-Chaz

Hey CC,
The newer chrome stuff is often flash chrome plated, where they basically wave the part at the chrome tank on the way past. Older chrome parts spent a lot more time in the various baths throughout the chroming process, giving each layer much more depth/thickness.

This place in the UK does both, pretty good overview of the various processes.

http://www.amphardchrome.co.uk/flash-chrome-plating.php

-Chaz

The place you linked to does do chrome, but these aren't the chrome processes used for bumpers. Bumper coatings would be cosmetic chrome plating, whereas the place you linked to is hard chrome plating, the kind that is used for industrial equipment, where you need a smooth and hard wear surface, not something that's main purpose is to be shiny. The processes are similar but there are some important differences.

still a grasshopper

The place you linked to does do chrome, but these aren't the chrome processes used for bumpers. Bumper coatings would be cosmetic chrome plating, whereas the place you linked to is hard chrome plating, the kind that is used for industrial equipment, where you need a smooth and hard wear surface, not something that's main purpose is to be shiny. The processes are similar but there are some important differences.

Just goes to show that I need more training in my Google-fu.
:eek:

I'm generally looking for ways to remove the chrome that someone else installed or came stock on my vehicle, not put it on or fix it, LOL!

-Chaz

Any manufacturer that claims to have triple plated chrome parts, do the triple process of copper, nickel, then chrome on their parts. I have bought a lot of HD parts that were done in China. They do a very simple single stage chrome plating. When exposed to the elements, it starts pitting and flaking. I think another reason for the single process (besides lower costs) is an environmental issue.

Yeah that frame sounds ugly. Personally I'd scrap the frame and start over. What about a G-body frame like a Malibu/Monte Carlo/Cutlass? That might make a decent swap candidate as long as you're not opposed to building mounts and floorpans.

Yeah that frame sounds ugly. Personally I'd scrap the frame and start over. What about a G-body frame like a Malibu/Monte Carlo/Cutlass? That might make a decent swap candidate as long as you're not opposed to building mounts and floorpans.

I am right there with you, Floor mounts/body mounts shouldn't be a problem. Just hunting for a cheap donor. Supposedly you can stretch the G body frame with 2"x3" tubing fairly easy, a caprice frame has the correct wheel base, I'll have to channel the floor 3" to hide the frame. We will see what rolls my way!

The car would be better, you'll probably lose quite a bit of floor/trunk space with the full S-10 frame. Just a guess though.

What about the over used S 10 frame? It might work out pretty good if it's the right width.

Thanks guys! My 40 Chevy is sitting on an S-10 frame and I did loose back seat room, which isn't huge because I didn't really want a back seat, the trunk area didn't suffer too bad.... It looks like I'm going to go for a car chassis on this one, I will channel it just enough to hide all but 1/2" - 1" of the frame, that way I don't create a huge step getting in, or I will make metal skirts, which could get ugly, so I'll probably channel it.

In other news.... I cobbled the S-10 sub-frame together and got a pretty good idea on the ride height.... I'll probably drop it another 1"-2" in the rear...
It doesn't look too bad for an old Chevy... I found out the original clock still works, so I think I'm going to keep the original dash, if nothing else definitely the clock, cause to be 60 years old and still ticking is pretty sweet! [cl

Also played around with the Buick bumper I picked up, it looks to be too wide, so it will get cut down to tuck nicely, which should allow me to leave my turn signals in the grill. I think it will look pretty sweet. I also toyed with the idea of flipping the bumper, but decided against it.....

Attachments

• WP_20140712_19_51_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140712_19_51_23_Pro.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 60
  • WP_20140712_19_51_37_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140712_19_51_37_Pro.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 57
  • WP_20140712_20_00_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140712_20_00_22_Pro.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 62
  • WP_20140712_20_09_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140712_20_09_47_Pro.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 61
  • WP_20140712_20_00_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140712_20_00_00_Pro.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 59
In the Meantime...

[S

I figured I would share something that I had over in the tech tips section...

did a little dash work....

Hoping to get all the holes or at least a good amount of them welded up over the weekend[;)... while I continue looking for a chassis....

Also took a couple shots with the bumper correct side up, definitely going to shorten and tighten it up.

Attachments

• WP_20140714_19_06_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140714_19_06_35_Pro.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 44
  • WP_20140714_19_05_45_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140714_19_05_45_Pro.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 52
  • WP_20140714_19_05_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140714_19_05_30_Pro.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 47
The bumper looks much better right side up. I can't wait to see some good progress on this.

Thanks! I agree!

I got a few welds[;) tacked up yesterday :) Little by little making progress...

Attachments

• WP_20140715_18_27_48_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140715_18_27_48_Pro.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 51
  • WP_20140715_18_27_44_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140715_18_27_44_Pro.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 47
  • WP_20140715_19_35_09_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140715_19_35_09_Pro.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Back