Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 340's are getting hard to find

Maybe so, but $3K for a small block Dodge of unknown history? That seems ludicrous to me.

Anyone out there know anything about these engines?
https://nmi.craigslist.org/pts/d/39-v6-dodge-dakota/6614558103.html

Thanks.
Torchie

You will need all the electronics and other modern trickery to go with it. That much I know. Likely best to get the entire donor vehicle.

Likely need to get anti-theft programmed out of the ECM as well (just a guess). Torchie, with your style of build I don't see you being happy with a modern V6, just my thoughts.

You will need all the electronics and other modern trickery to go with it. That much I know. Likely best to get the entire donor vehicle.

My thoughts as well Skip. i emailed them asking about the entire vehicle. No response so far.

Maybe so, but $3K for a small block Dodge of unknown history? That seems ludicrous to me.
I agree snopro. How much to rebuild one? 3-5000?????

Likely need to get anti-theft programmed out of the ECM as well (just a guess). Torchie, with your style of build I don't see you being happy with a modern V6, just my thoughts.

Yeah I thought about that as well snopro.....:D I love the old engines.:)

unless it says T/A on the side...

I love the pre 72 318`s. decent power and bullitproof, but those are getting harder to find also... I guess most were scrapped :(
I found this one as well dutch. But I got to take the whole motor home. I drag that home and i'll be living in it.....[ddd
Plus its a post 72 so most likely a gutless wonder.
https://nmi.craigslist.org/pts/d/318-dodge-engine-and-trans/6617755875.html

Torchie

75, wasn't that during the "lean burn" experiment? I think they burned up a lot of them because they were so lean from the factory for smog purposes that they burned pistons.:eek:

75, wasn't that during the "lean burn" experiment? I think they burned up a lot of them because they were so lean from the factory for smog purposes that they burned pistons.:eek:

I know that around 71 they started to reduce compression on all the engines in anticipation of the conversion to Low Lead/No Lead.
I am still looking hard at the Dakota as I may do a complete chassis swap.
All just conjecture at this point.
Torchie

I was kinda thinking Dakota too... but track width maybe to wide...[S
this guy used a S-10....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• columbus 2014 132.jpg
    columbus 2014 132.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 52
  • columbus 2014 131.jpg
    columbus 2014 131.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 51
This one used a MII....Dig the wheel/tire treatment...

attachment.php

attachment.php

and I think the V-6 would make a good cruzer...jesme:D

Attachments

• GOODGUYS COLUMBUS 2016 029.jpg
    GOODGUYS COLUMBUS 2016 029.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 51
  • GOODGUYS COLUMBUS 2016 030.jpg
    GOODGUYS COLUMBUS 2016 030.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 51
I have seen them done on s-10's as well FBP. There is a guy over on the custom car chronicle site that is putting a 48 Plymouth on one.
My thoughts in using the entire Dakota would be the fact that it would keep it all Dodge.:D
I'm no stranger to Chassis transplants. My former everyday driver 50 GMC panel had a full size GMC pickup truck chassis and running gear under it. We transplanted all the electronic along with it. You could take it to a dealer and they could plug their computer in to it just like a new car for diagnostic readouts.:cool:
According to me research the Dakota wheel bases were from 11.9 - 131's"
Depending on the style. Including one that comes in at 123.9 . My Dodge has a WB of 123.5.
I don't know the track width yet.
Have a safe 4th of July everyone.
Torchie

4 door

the one with the suicide doors one may have been a four door customized to the way it looks now.
does any know if it was?

anyway though l still like it[cl

Later:cool:

The wife's away. Torchie will play.....

Some things are better done out from under a watchfull eye.[ddd
I moved the Dodge into the shop today with the help of my trusty Kiabota.:D
A little pulling. A little pushing. And there it is.[cl
Got to do some rearranging in the shop and then I will start to hang the fenders and hood on her so that I can step back and get a better llok as well as some lowering in the rear.
Stay tuned.........
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4362.JPG
    IMG_4362.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4367.JPG
    IMG_4367.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4366.JPG
    IMG_4366.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4361.JPG
    IMG_4361.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4359.JPG
    IMG_4359.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4357.JPG
    IMG_4357.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4356.JPG
    IMG_4356.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4354.JPG
    IMG_4354.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4353.JPG
    IMG_4353.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 32
Just to show that I can build one as fast as those cool guys on the TV...[ddd
It's "True" Northern Michigan Car. Running snow tires in the winter and the fender is Duct taped on....;)
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4370.JPG
    IMG_4370.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4371.JPG
    IMG_4371.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4375.JPG
    IMG_4375.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4377.JPG
    IMG_4377.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4379.JPG
    IMG_4379.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4384.JPG
    IMG_4384.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4388.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 28
Torchie, I've got a place I anchor a pulley across from the doorway and 150 ft rope I use to get stuff up into the barn by myself. It works pretty good.
Kiabota huh!!!

Torchie, I've got a place I anchor a pulley across from the doorway and 150 ft rope I use to get stuff up into the barn by myself. It works pretty good.
Kiabota huh!!!

I would like ti have that as well smallfoot but not really anyplace to anchor to.
So I improvise......:)
Torchie

improvisation is the salve of a lubricated mind!

I used to keep a big tire around just for pushing stuff, put it between the bumpers and push! lately I am getting good using the "roll the rear tire" method, it works a lot better than I would have thought, even trucks with cabs and engines I can push up the slight incline into my garage.

your place looks like a little slice of heaven torchie!

Latest posts

Back