Carpenter bees!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

My house has western cedar siding, a soft wood, my new carport has exposed spruce rafters, another soft wood. These carpenter bees love it! They are boring holes everywhere! I hung some flesh brown colored bags up last year to look like hornets nests, the bees natural enemies, they left and didn't come back, but this year they are ignoring them. Anybody got a way to get rid of them before they destroy my house?

Same problem here...had no idea what that crap sprayed all over my shiplap siding was. Then I saw the bee.

I shot some WD-40 into the hole. Bee didnt like that at all.

Dang! I've never even seen or heard of them....maybe because it's so hot/dry here we don't have them.

They look like a bumblebee, but are a little bigger. They will bore a 1/2” hole in soft wood to lay their eggs in. I never thought they would mess with my western red cedar, but it’s a soft wood, so they don’t have any problems. A normal southern cedar is a hard, dense wood that not many insects like. I thought the western red was the same thing, but it’s not.

Those murder hornets are scary! They say they are about 2” long, and their stinger will go through beekeepers clothes! I hope they can get rid of them before they take hold in this country or our honeybees are in great danger.

A follow up:

I sprayed wasp and hornet spray in every hole I saw, the kind that shoots a stream about 20'. After a couple of weeks of not seeing any more bees, I filled the holes with silicone caulking. Haven't seen one since, so maybe they got the message!

Latest posts

Back