String wrapped steering wheel - what I did

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been putzing with this steering wheel most of the week. I tried several things to cover the exposed T's.

I made a loom of sorts and used waxed thread from my leather working. I thought it looked good in the sample, but I wasn't happy with thie finished details.

I wrapped the whole wheel and secured the ends with the waxed thread on the back side. That worked well.

The last photo is the finished wheel, at least for now. I'm much less enthused about the knots than I was last week. I plan on coating it with spar urethane today.

I have a bunch of the stained cord left, I plan on wrapping the shifter and maybe the E-brake handle.

Attachments

• 1 weave.jpg
    1 weave.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 2 weave.jpg
    2 weave.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 3 wrapped.jpg
    3 wrapped.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 4 finished.jpg
    4 finished.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 76
With the bigger cord, that looks done to me. Looks real good! I tried doing the crossover type thing like in the last pic, put the with the small string it bunched up way too much in the corners. The stain gives it a aged look - I imagine the spar will add to that too. I think the second pic would work too.

Looking at this, it makes me think that the thinner string gives it a more 'stately' look and the thicker stuff gives it a more hot rod look.

I like the color, the welting worked well as long as I was careful not to kink it before wrapping it. It stretches enough to stay tight. It kind of feels and looks like jute.

The size definitely changes the look. I think the 5/32 is too big. 1/8" or 3/32 might have been better. It reminds me of a boat wheel every time I look at it.

I got the spar on it today. I loaded up the first coat with all it would take, turning it over and brushing in any drips. The second and third coats were quicker and easier. It's a little shiny for my taste. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

I'm not sure how to make the look tie in with the rest of the roadster, but if I don't like it I can change the wheel - I'm in it for $45 for the welting and spar -the wheel was free.

I'm not sure how to make the look tie in with the rest of the roadster, but if I don't like it I can change the wheel - I'm in it for $45 for the welting and spar -the wheel was free.

??? If it looks like it was done for function (better grip) it already fits.

What was I thinking? A narrowed 10 inches, sectioned 5 inches, top cut off,
'48 Chevy cab with a Rockwell dually rear needs a string wrapped steering wheel.

Here's a couple photos with 3 coats of spar.

Attachments

• DSC02661.jpg
    DSC02661.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC02666.jpg
    DSC02666.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 44
Is that welting smooth after the spar? The string has a rough texture (besides the ridges). It feels sandpaper like. I'm sure it will smooth out after a short bit of use though. I'm going to try to do my neighbors wheel soon in exchange for a custom made fuel cell. He wants his smooth - I can understand, his wagon is tough to turn. I'm going to show him a picture of yours to try to convince him to use bigger string.

That looks perfect in there. (Flip it 180 degrees because the bottom rim wrap looks a slightly more even than the top.)

It isn't real smooth. Like yours, I think it will become smooth with some use. I think it provides a good grip. The welting does come in a lot of sizes and I think the spar will help it hold up a long time.

The black nylon I tried was smooth but the Spar didn't penetrate and "glue" it to the conduit. It came loose. The natural and stained tissue welting test pieces I did are very stuck. (So is the wheel, although I didn't actually try to rip it off.)

I look for string everywhere I go. I didn't like the chalk line size, too small. Mason's line is similar. I haven't really found anything I like better than the welting.

I'll have to look at turning it over, not sure if it's a photo thing or reality. I was doing well just to get it in focus.

Over on the H--B there is a thread about hot rod hill climbing in the UK. There is an old sport car with a steering that looks like a twin to yours. Very cool.

Looks great

Very nice work. Wish I was into macrame or had been a sailor it sure would be helpful. Very tedious but very nice end result. Thanks for sharing. This is such a great place to learn. Steve

Latest posts

Back