Trying to stay American!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E$rnie Pintor III

So here's the deal. 50 ford f-1 rat rod/ Kustom. I put in a poly318 from 66 dodge. The way I put it in there it scrues with my steering. So now I m at the point where I need to fix it. What's the smallest steering box that I can use? I heard toyota but my trucks American made. Can someone help me? I also made a custom dash and my steering colum is a little to the right. Oh well, it can be fixed with a few knuckles but my problem is the box. Please... Any suggestion?

Your not going to get much smaller of a box then the stock one for your truck.

Toyota is basically a direct replacement for the F 1 so as said above the stock is better if not move it to a completely different location.

Hi E$rnie, I am following the answers you get because I have a 1966 poly 318 sitting here waiting to go into something, too. One possibility for the hook up is rerouting your steering column and shaft starting inside the cab. I have driven a '79 Kenworth for 34 years now and it's steering column shaft has a U-joint up under the dash probably six inches above the toeboard and the shaft exits the toeboard at a slant towards the left. The steering box is right in front of the firewall and on the outside of the frame. Anyhow, I've driven it for 34,000 hrs without any problems, so this principle might work for you.
Keep on tinkering.

Toyota steering.

I've got a Toyota box on my 56 F100. I used an adapter to mount it to the frame and used my stock column in it's original position. I don't know if you can use it on an F-1. Maybe someone can tell you. I can tell you the box isn't much bigger than the stock box. It's just a little longer. Hope this helps.

Lynn

U joints

Well I have the steering colum in place, I have it a little to far to the right. Sucks because I have the Gage's all in place around the steering colum. So it's staying. So I have the steering colum going more twards the fire wall. So it is kinda hi. Steering wheel feels more like a car. So it has a u joint right inside the cab . Then I m gonna go out twards the left , another u joint then down to the box. That's what I see needs to be done. It's just that the position of the engine kinda scrues me up . I bought a steering box but now I see its not the right one . Not a big deal, I can just put a plate and drill new holes. My problem is that the box needs at least 9 inches. I don't have the room. It will hit my exhaust manifold. That's why I wondering if there's a smaller box I can. Use

So here's the deal. 50 ford f-1 rat rod/ Kustom. I put in a poly318 from 66 dodge. The way I put it in there it scrues with my steering. So now I m at the point where I need to fix it. What's the smallest steering box that I can use? I heard toyota but my trucks American made. Can someone help me? I also made a custom dash and my steering colum is a little to the right. Oh well, it can be fixed with a few knuckles but my problem is the box. Please... Any suggestion?

doesn,t toyota build their trucks in ther usa?...san antonio texas

Latest posts

Back