Cutting glass....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
Cutting glass.... sanding

I didn't know if you could sand the edges of safety glass with a belt sander. I tried it. You can. [cl

Last edited:
Yes, you can. Just use a fine grit.

Well, I was using 40 grit. It was chipping a little, but the glass is already cracked in several places. I could go back over with a finer grit and it would clean up I think, but I was just trying to remove the dangerous edge.

Sam you can get real good results sanding the edge of laminate safety glass
with a belt sander using fine grit belts but MAKE SURE you keep a constant stream of water on the belt to keep cool!
When finished, dry and then wipe bees wax on edge for polished look!

So what exactly does the water do? Keep it from cracking or keep it from chipping? I didn't use water, but didn't sand in one spot for more than 10 seconds or so. I also would stop and let it cool after a couple minutes. No problems.

It seems to me safety glass takes spot heat fairly well? Maybe that's why it was chipping, but I was blaming that on the 40 grit. Pinpoint heat like from a saw I could see causing problems.

YEP ! water is to keep it cool!
I worked in the glass business for 9 yrs doing everything from residential to storefronts and auto!
We had an upright wet-belt sander that we used to do laminate on autos and plain plate glass for table tops ect.
If you grind with belt sander and round the edge like on door glass and make slick with bes wax that is called "having a pencil edge"
Water will keep it cool! lots of cold water!

The water also helps keep the linishing belt clean, prolonging life and finish. If you are cutting lam glass, after scoring and cracking the glass, pour metho on the cut and light it. While it's burning, pull the two pieces apart. The fire softens the laminating sheet enought to allow the cut to separate cleanly.
I once had to linishing around 3 inches off the top of a Nissan 240K sedan screen so I could fit it into a coupe. What a job!

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back