Ton 1/2 rear ends with two speed rearend

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hauling? or rod?
two speed rear ends were put in trucks to haul heavy stuff, and were mostly a downward split. (2nd gear, then 2nd gear low)

Yeah, great question. What's is your intended use?

I know with my M series Studebaker 2 speed axle the ratios are 6.66:1 and 5.66:1 with no other gearing options. Neither choice is very good for highway use. I guess if you were going to use an overdrive unit or trans that would make the 2 speed rear more attractive if you needed it for highway use.

I'm not that familiar with the cummins specs. I would think that you would want to research the best rpm ranges at which the cummins performs and compare that to the gear ratios of your 2 speed axle along with your tire size to determine where the cummins would operate with your setup. I do know over revving any diesel is bad news.

Cummins only crank to just over 3k and build power all the way thru it. If you plan on cruising the highway keep that in mind.

Rear Axle

If you need I have a single speed rear axle 1 1/2ton from a1951 Chevy has 18 or 20 inch wheels. located in Concord NC a few hours drive from you!

52 fordman

Latest posts

Back