A day at the sawmill

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, I watched that last week. I watch a lot of the Alaska shows and some of those guys have band saw saw mills.

That was interesting! If it was today's machine, you wouldn't be able to see it for the guards, handrails, screens, etc etc!

Old school & incredible... how the West was won!! :eek:

BoB

That was interesting! If it was today's machine, you wouldn't be able to see it for the guards, handrails, screens, etc etc!

Yeah, that did look a little dangerous! One trip, one slip and that's it! :eek:

Toad

I love it! you could die there pretty quick... :D

Oh come on you guys.....
The one guy was wearing eye protection.I'm sure that would have saved him if one of those teeth came off of the spinning blades..[ddd
They are probably all deaf like me.:eek: :D
Torchie

I actually worked at a mill sorta like that when I was in high school. It was electric powered, and they only cut hardwood. My job? Catching the sawn green lumber off the chain and putting it in the proper stack. Hard work catching a 2” thick and 12” wide plank 16’ long! It was all my 16 year old butt could handle, I slept good that week! Only worked a week because I was filling in for a guy that was out, was glad when he came back!

I then went back to my normal job working for the mill owner cutting grass and bush hogging. Liked that a lot better!

Been told that those teeth were the dangerous part when hitting iron in the tree. I thought you guys would like the setup. A mill like that could just about run itself as far as power plant. Steam engine and furnace stoked with slabs and saw dust...

I actually worked at a mill sorta like that when I was in high school. It was electric powered, and they only cut hardwood. My job? Catching the sawn green lumber off the chain and putting it in the proper stack. Hard work catching a 2” thick and 12” wide plank 16’ long! It was all my 16 year old butt could handle, I slept good that week! Only worked a week because I was filling in for a guy that was out, was glad when he came back!

I then went back to my normal job working for the mill owner cutting grass and bush hogging. Liked that a lot better!

You must have been posting as I was typing mine out. I also worked in one that was electric powered bandsaw. Yessir, that's a job that will work you. I bought my pool table off a friend that ran the mill. I worked it long enough to pay off my table...:D

I too worked at a bandsaw mill in my younger days. one day we cut a big old oak when suddenly the band snapped with an explosion-like sound and filled the shop with sawdust instandly. There was a bronze Madonna sculpture inside the tree... I had a shock....but the guy checking trees with a metal detector had a problem :D

One of my Uncles was a saw filer. Yes, filer, he used a file, no fancy grinders for him. It’s said he could put a razors edge on a circle saw blade.

Latest posts

Back