Info on making auto column shifter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckp

I asked this on another site & it crashed & BURNED! [ddd

I remember a tread or 2 about making an auto shifter,one was about using a older car 'exsposed' column I want to make one for my F100,I have plenty of time,parts & little money & i like thinking out side the box,I've googled,searched all the tech archives/ articles on just about every site i can think of, i really don't wanna run a floor shifter since it will suck up room-i have 3{BIG} kids that will ride in it,we ride in my son's vw bus they have bumped the shifter.my engine & tranny will be sbc/auto.[P
Any help? Ideas on how to do the cable shift? [S

something along these lines:::
http://coppercountycustoms.com/56_ford_f100_1.html

Seems it should be realitively easy to convert a

I asked this on another site & it crashed & BURNED! [ddd

I remember a tread or 2 about making an auto shifter,one was about using a older car 'exsposed' column I want to make one for my F100,I have plenty of time,parts & little money & i like thinking out side the box,I've googled,searched all the tech archives/ articles on just about every site i can think of, i really don't wanna run a floor shifter since it will suck up room-i have 3{BIG} kids that will ride in it,we ride in my son's vw bus they have bumped the shifter.my engine & tranny will be sbc/auto.[P
Any help? Ideas on how to do the cable shift? [S

something along these lines:::
http://coppercountycustoms.com/56_ford_f100_1.html

manual column shifter into a auto....the detent would be the only obstacle but that shouldn't be hard to eliminate....arm, bracket and linkage should be the easy part....JMHO...if I could draw, I'd show you what I mean....

Ok here is the way I plan to do mine.You have two shift arms lower(2-3rd) and upper (R-1st).Cut off lower arm and in the neutral position weld it to column.Make a rainbow plate with detent bumps on it and a stop to keep it from going past the neutral position and weld it under the upper arm.Hook rod to upper arm to the trans.This way the old Neutral position (with lever in the forward position cant move because the arm is welded)is now Park, and the shift lever has to be pulled upward (old R-1)to make the upper arm to move and the detents let you select the gears.Wish I had a way to draw this, basically your locking the 2-3 to create a park lock and using the R-1 as the arm to connect the trans.Hope this makes some sense.lol

Well....

You have to realize the shifter is not part of the column. It sits on top of the column and simply bolts on..... And the lower part (where the arms are) is spring loaded. You are gonna have to get rid of the lower part, I think. You can weld a shift lever on ok but the detent...???? I don't know. Gotta think about it.[S[S[S

Lynn

Latest posts

Back