Party Rat Study

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after a very busy year doing other things I have finally made some progress on the frame. First up is a pic of the front frame rails welded to the 1.5" heavy wall square tubing

Attachments

• Rails.jpg
    Rails.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 71
The rear 'bumper' is 2" tubing that I had to get bent. It took me a long time to find someone that was able to bend 2" tube and when I did they didn't bend it quite like I wanted but I guess it is what it is. The center bend was supposed to be a single bend in a "V" shape. Instead they did two bends in a "U" shape. So far that is the only thing that hasn't turned out the way I wanted so I guess I'm doing good. Here is is welded in place.

Attachments

• rearbumper.jpg
    rearbumper.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 45
Next was connecting the frame rails with the rear 'subframe'. I purchased a digital level and spent a long time shimming and adjusting to make sure everything was straight and level before welding together. Finally a frame! The front triangle structure is just tacked into place to provide some structure until I get more actual crossmembers in place.

Attachments

• leveling.jpg
    leveling.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 67
  • fullframe.jpg
    fullframe.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 87
  • weldedup.jpg
    weldedup.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I also cut and welded some plates to close off the front of the subframe...the part that will fit up against the back of the cab.

Attachments

• bodybrackets.jpg
    bodybrackets.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 53
  • bodybrackets2.jpg
    bodybrackets2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 51
Next up was installing the the airbag/4 link brackets. I tack welded several cross braces to hold the 4 brackets in alignment and I had the 4 link bars installed to measure and keep everything straight as i tacked the brackets down to the subframe. The 4 links are all adjustable but I tried to keep everything as straight as possible before finish welding it.

Attachments

• bagbrackets.jpg
    bagbrackets.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 63
  • welddetail.jpg
    welddetail.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 55
  • bagbrackets2.jpg
    bagbrackets2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 65
Upcoming will be to intall and re-assemble the rear axle and install the motor mounts in the next few weeks. Also, I was able to pick up a Buick ST400 'switch pitch' transmission that I was glad to find. Not sure which transmission I'll use but it is nice to have options.

Looks great so far. That rear subframe is killer! I was wondering why only 1.5" square tube for the main rails though? Are you planning to add structure to that? Just seems way to small for the main chassis rails if they are it...[S

Looks great so far. That rear subframe is killer! I was wondering why only 1.5" square tube for the main rails though? Are you planning to add structure to that? Just seems way to small for the main chassis rails if they are it...[S

I agree with this 1 1/2 is small for the main frame rails. Still looks sweet tho

Thanks for the replys everyone. Yes, the 1.5" tubing does look small (it is .188 wall though) but I have a plan. There will be more framing in the center section there but I have other steps to complete first to make it all fit together like I envision. Stay tuned!

Thanks to all you Vets this Memorial Day, I appreciate your service.

I had planned to get the rear axle installed but decided it would be better to get the engine and transmission installed first and then align the rear axle off of that instead of the other way around so I ordered some engine mounts and a transmission cushion and am waiting on those. I did get the rear airbag mounts welded in.

Attachments

• IMAG0459.jpg
    IMAG0459.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0460.jpg
    IMAG0460.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 51
Since all the weight via the airbags will be supported basically on the upper 4 link bar on each side I'm trying to decide if I should add a support gusset on the bottom of the upper 4 link to strengthen it. The bars are 1/4" wall DOM tubing but I'd hate to have them bend....what do you guys think?

Got the engine mounts and transmission cushion. I took a long time leveling everything with a digital level before tacking the mounts in place. I ran out of time to get the trans mount in place so that will have to wait for another day which is unfortunate because I have to pull everything out of my garage to work on this thing. It is not normally a big deal to pull the frame out but with the engine and trans it is a lot to be moving around! I liked having the engine sitting inside the frame...lends a little scale to it.

Attachments

• leveling.jpg
    leveling.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 57
  • engine mounted.jpg
    engine mounted.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 54
  • mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back