Newb from Georgia

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TubularFab

I guess I might as well introduce myself. I'm a welding instructor at a technical college these days after spending 12 years as an engineer for a small sportscar company. I also have a one man fabrication business centered on a large mandrel tube bender doing cage, chassis, and exhaust work in whatever spare hours I can find.

Most of my experience is in sportscars - here is one I built myself from obsolete and leftover parts when I worked for that sportcar company:
DSCN0471.jpg

It's probably the closest thing to a "Johnny Cash - One Piece at a Time" car that was built in the last 20 years since it has parts spanning about 12 years' production and 4 models...

Anyway, I really like to see the original rods that guys with no money built back in the 50's and 60's (such as my dad did). And, while I appreciate the labor they put into the modern rods, they just don't get my interest. Recently I've discovered the concept of rat rods, and it looks like this is the place for me to get into them.

I have been entertaining thoughts of jumping in with a truck I've been storing for many years. It's a '46 Dodge 1.5 ton Cab-Over. I also acquired an engine I was going to repower it with back in the '90s - a Detroit Diesel 4-53 turbo and 10 speed mini road ranger tranny that will mate up. I think there is some interesting potential here - but have not decided what frame approach to take just yet.

Anyway - that's me...

Welcome.
Sounds like an AWESOME project truck.I love the 453 idea.That engine will never let you down.They run forever.Some of the offshore fishing boats around here run them.They crank them up and never shut them off until they get back home a week or 10 days later.All GM 71 AND 53 series are Wonderful engines.Keep us posted as you go along.[cl

Welcome to the site. Sounds like a great plan. I think we have talked about COEs around here before, you may be able to search and come up with some pictures.
Nice sports car build too. Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back