Couldn’t steal a flathead ……

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddRodsGarage

This summer I bought a 41 ford pickup with a stuck flathead in it and could not find a flathead anywhere .. starting a couple of weeks ago they started falling out of the trees….. I went downstate for a funeral ….. and of course checked Cracklist…[ I know ….. I am a bad person ] and made a side trip for a 41 flatty that had been sitting in his garage for 20 years It was running when pulled and he had put mystery oil in it and gave it regular spins .It was not complete but he did throw in the cart, a 2 brush generator and a good radiator

2 weeks ago I got a call about a running flathead in a 1936 sedan , it purred like a kitten had 45 lbs pressure and charging like it should. I bought this one and plan on putting it in the 41 truck mentioned above.

And then 2 days ago I get a call out of the blue from some guy that was selling a 1930 4 door Model A basket case when talk turn to flatheads an I mentioned V-8's when he told me his friend had one that he knew ran out of a 1938 that he pulled this summer . This motor is the 60 HP that is not very powerful.... but is plenty for a formerly 4 cyl. powered A .....This motor also had a Stromburg 97 on it
I will have to put this picture in another post " A sharing violation occurred while accessing .... """ and I do not know yet how to correct

So I guess now the next 3 builds are going to be flatheads.....

Oldog

Attachments

• snowtruck flatheads 4duces 008.jpg
    snowtruck flatheads 4duces 008.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 59
  • snowtruck flatheads 4duces 003.jpg
    snowtruck flatheads 4duces 003.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 53
  • snowtruck flatheads 4duces 006.jpg
    snowtruck flatheads 4duces 006.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 59
About a month ago I got tired of the two flatheads we had stored in our shop taking up space, so I put them on CL. Mine was a 46 motor and my Son's was a 49. Mine was cleaner and I put $350 on it and $300 on my Son's. I got a call immediately on the 49 and the guy came and gave me a $60 deposit and came back the next week and got it.

A week later a guy called and said "How far are you from Tampa," and I told him about 2 hours. He said, "I'm on my way !" He showed up, we got it loaded, and off it went to it's new home. I now have some extra space in the shop and a few bucks to buy more stuff I don't need. :eek:

Don

That's the way it's supposed to work :rolleyes:
If you need something, buy the first piece that comes along and in a few days a bunch of better ones will show up :confused:

The thing is I know where another running late truck flat is and it is a 337 cu truck motor . but he wants a grand for it . now that I have some runners I may be able to poker face his arse down .... The big truck flathead is bullet proof I hear but I am just learning these motors ..
All I know is that unless you are expert at these motors DO NOT BUY one unless you hear it run with good pressure and charging... and even at $1000 you will be way far ahead verses buying any component to make it run ..my 2 cents...

I was told you have to check for end play on the crank , if its out of the truck pull or push the belt pulley and see if it moves in and out of the block. if so the block may be worn out to bad ???? I know you check a VW engine that way .. This man had a 49 truck and when he pushed in the clutch the front pulley would move forward

Latest posts

Back