10K gvwr tilt deck trailer plans...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
Anyone out there in RRR land have plans for a 10K lb tilt deck car trailer? My new to me ramp truck is not operational yet and I had a guy offer way to much for my worn out, sits too high, bent, cracked car trailer I've used the last 12 years (and 36K miles!:eek:) so I'm giving thought to building one that suits my needs better.

Pros and cons of a tilt deck would be appreciated as well. Thanks fellas![P

The two things that comes to mind is, when the deck is damp the tires will spin and you won't be able to load the vehicle.
The deck incline will put an unnecessary load on the winch pulling a dead vehicle onto the trailer.
That said, Ive always wanted one.

I don't have any plans but I built a car hauler for a friend, in my younger days, that was based on the same theory as a recovery truck with a sliding hydraulic bed. It was a goose neck and really worked slick. It got a little expensive but he had all the money in the world at that time. His wife has it now. The money that is.

I always planned on making another one for me but it never happened.

I've had tilt beds also but they were always too tall for my liking. Maybe
if you could put drop axles under it? But to get it wide enough for a car hauler you might have a over width issue.

Good luck with your trailer thoughts.

I have a 7000lb tilt trailer, love it . It has drop axles so it rides low and the angle tilted is not very steep. the only thing I need to make the d/s fender hing out to clear doors.

Hydraulic Tilt Car Hauler, 2-5/16” Ball A-Frame Coupler, Tandem 5200lb axles with leaf spring suspension, brakes on both axles, pivot tongue tilt, 3”x12”
cylinder and 12volt DC pump. No ramps required, 82” between fenders 19’ long bed, Steel deck. Commercial Design Easy Load!
Hydraulic Tilt Car Hauler, 2-5/16” Ball A-Frame Coupler, Tandem 5200lb axles with leaf spring suspension, brakes on both axles, pivot tongue tilt, 3”x12”
cylinder and 12volt DC pump. No ramps required, 82” between fenders 19’ long bed, Steel deck. Commercial Design Easy Load!
HYDRAULIC TILT CAR HAULER TRAILER PLANS 82" X 19'

Attachments

• DSCN2605.jpg
    DSCN2605.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 50
Ricksgarage - Those look like the TJ trailers plans I've seen online for about $34.95. And they bring up my second dilema which is some models tilt by pivoting just the neck A frame while others the trailer stays flat and just the deck pivots. The deck pivot models seem to have a lower load angle. The neck pivot ones are by far a simpler design.

I did see the one built by Quick load (?) where the trailer slid back over the axles and down for a very low load angle. They drove a C5 vette on it which has a long front over hang

i hated the one tilt i have used
it dint go all the way to the ground so there was a 4 inch curb you hadda jump to even get started and the angle was so steep bumpers got caught.
that thing looked great
but in use it sucked.

Just look at some of the factory made ones and get a few measurements, the concept is really simple. I had a friends 20 foot tilt with winch I used a lot but he sold it and regrets every day. My next build is going to be a 22-24 foot, steel deck tilt on 7000# axles. I already have the 12,000# winch for it. You can slide anything on, even a car with no hubs, which is very good in my line of work. 2 winters ago I built me a nice light one car hauler with some old travel trailer torsion axles and a 2.5 foot beaver tail. It is awesome for hauling an average car and pulls the nicest of any trailer I've ever hauled but sometimes I need something bigger and something I can yard carcasses onto.
I tend not be real crazy about goose necks unless I need a really big trailer. They weigh a lot more thus diminishing the payload and you have to drive them like a semi. Lots of places I go with my bumper whippers you could never get into with a goose neck.

Also, the neck pivot are much simpler and work great, that's what mine will be. If all the cars I hauled ran, I wouldn't bother with the tilt. And I wouldn't have a tilt with no winch.

Yes, I thought you did not have any plans. This was to give you some ideas.
I have used both types, however, like Billy mentioned, it is a lot harder to get a none running vehicle up the deck. The other style is the no axle type using air bags to lower the deck to allow easy roll-on.

weld on...........[;)

I have a tilt deck it was a crank style when I got it and I changed that to an airbag setup. We put a small flip up ramp on the back to help with ground clearance. Then mounted a tool box to the front with the winch and air system and even some loading lights on the front so it goes up with the deck. I love it[cl

Yes, I thought you did not have any plans.

I don't have any actual plans yet but I have been doing a bunch of research on the subject. I was kind of hoping someone had a set or a trailer I could get some specs from like frame material sizes etc.

I have a tilt deck it was a crank style when I got it and I changed that to an airbag setup. We put a small flip up ramp on the back to help with ground clearance. Then mounted a tool box to the front with the winch and air system and even some loading lights on the front so it goes up with the deck. I love it[cl

I'd like to see some pics of it if you got a chance. No rush. Sounds like you've got yours figured out pretty good.

A guy came with a 12K tilt deck to pick up the 68 dump truck and that was a nightmare! Only 1/2 the deck tilted and the truck didn't run. took an hour to get it loaded. This is why I want the entire deck to tilt, mount the winch to the deck itself and try to get the lowest load angle possible. My old straight trailer sat way to high, had very long very heavy loading ramps, didn't have the axles placed far enough back so it towed horribly and it was just plain wore out.

I'll get ya some. It will give me a reason to get it out of my back yard[S. I made the loop on the back of my property to bring it back up and park it behind the shed and found out 4wd wasn't working:mad: I had to abandon the trailer back there to make sure I got the truck out. Lol

At some point I am going to have to build a little trailer to haul my altered. The one I had in the 70's for my first Bantam was very simple. Single axle, and the car backed up onto the trailer because the track in the front was wider than the rear, it just loaded easier that way.

Since the car will only weigh under 1500 pounds (hopefully) I think I can go old school on the trailer and still be ok. But if any of you know of any plans, please let me know.

Don

At some point I am going to have to build a little trailer to haul my altered. The one I had in the 70's for my first Bantam was very simple. Single axle, and the car backed up onto the trailer because the track in the front was wider than the rear, it just loaded easier that way.

Don

My dad used to use a simple, low slung single axle trailer to haul the MG's he worked on. It was basically 2 pieces of 10" channel iron laid face up on 4 cross members. It had a single drop axle. The ramps were only 2' long but then MG's of the 30's- early 50's were only about 1800 lbs and narrow.

Since the car will only weigh under 1500 pounds (hopefully) I think I can go old school on the trailer and still be ok. But if any of you know of any plans, please let me know.

Don

Don I've built several single axle trailers from old travel trailers and actually have a couple more planned. Of the two I still have one I use just for firewood but the other one is 5'8"x12 and gets used (borrowed) more than any trailer I own. I hauled my rpu to Bonneville on it.

I hate mine.

I have a 24' split deck tilt trailer. It has 14k gross and is a bumper pull style. It's a equipment trailer and works good for my skidloader but it SUCKS for everything else. Not good for full size cars as it is narrow. I can't haul full size trucks with wide tires either because of the way it is built. I personally would not build one. The only reason that I even bought mine was to haul my forklift.

744FD88B-20DD-4ACA-951E-20E843590A27-927-00000084A4404242_zpsd290341b.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the split decks either. I've never owned one but 2 different friends did and hated them, both got traded off. I think 84" is about all the width you can get between fenders, maybe a little more if you run some really skinny tires.

I just found these on the interweb. They are made by a company named Maxey Trailers. The basic trailer is about the same as a normal car trailer. The difference is they run a custom drop axle setup mounted on a swing arm. Then they have air bags on the swing arms. Pretty neat idea. Pricey though. They start at $7500 for a 7K GVWR 20' trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI2HzgmkjoY

So pricing out the steel for a 18' steel decked trailer is running about $1900. I have found a couple of 07 big tex trailers here for about $1500 complete. I'm thinking it will be easier to buy a complete running trailer and modify the axles to do what the drop n load trailer does. That will put me into it around $2500 as apposed to $3800 if I buy all new and build it myself.

Attachments

• _Maxey__Air_Ride_Drop_N_Load_.jpg
    _Maxey__Air_Ride_Drop_N_Load_.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back