engine choices

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthman

Fascinated by rolling objects!
Tempe AZ on the corner of Oak and Southern
The 2.3 Courier block, Ranger head engine in the Earthmobile...Model A sedan...has given me trouble for months and it is past time to upgrade to something else. The chassis is original unboxed and the rearend has open driveshaft conversion. Really want some kind of small lightweight engne that won't require a new frame and suspension. Loved this 2.3 but they are getting hard to find even tho there were millions made. Would consider a bug engine if there were a rear drive trans adaptor available. :D
Even a motorcycle engine. The car only had 40 HP to begin with and that suited me fine. The biggest problem with most little engines is mating it to a rear drive trans. Any suggestions? Thanks

Search Craig's list for a old school Baja bug or tube chasis bug. Rear drive and all right there and cheap.

Depends on what you want from the engine. If it is modern EFI light weight reliable power that is easy to adapt to a RWD trans then you can't do much better than an Ecotec 2.4L GM 4 cylinder. If you are looking for something that has a carb and a distributor then the 2.3L ford you have now is about the best choice out there. Guys used to run the Datsun L16 or Toyota 3TC motors but i can imagine they are getting scarce now too. [P

Depends on what you want from the engine. If it is modern EFI light weight reliable power that is easy to adapt to a RWD trans then you can't do much better than an Ecotec 2.4L GM 4 cylinder. If you are looking for something that has a carb and a distributor then the 2.3L ford you have now is about the best choice out there. Guys used to run the Datsun L16 or Toyota 3TC motors but i can imagine they are getting scarce now too. [P

The issue with the Ecotec is that if you can't find a RWD version with a transmission (Solstice or Sky), then you're stuck with FWD engines. You can get adapter plates, but the seem to be about $900 for the adapter plate, converter and bolts Ecotec Adapter Plate.

Then you still need to figure out all the wiring and engine mounting for RWD. Not impossible, but not exactly economical.

Oops, frame twister! LOL

Friend of mine might have a 2.3. I will ask him...

My friend Tom has one, but ...

"Yes I do, but it is the turbo charged version out of the Mustang SVO and Merkur XR4Ti. It has been rebuilt with the good stuff like ARP head studs, Melling oil pump, etc. it is on a stand in the back room. 1,500.00."

... it would probably twist that frame into a pretzel!

Why not the 2.0 L Ford? Back in the 1980s I had a couple of friends who autocrossed Pintos. One was a 2.0 and the other the 2.3 version. The 2.0 was always quicker, and these are used in Formula Ford racers to this day!

There's always the Mazda Miata engines, too. Reliable as heck and last forever if maintained properly. Like any engine... Then again, there is all the wiring and ecu needed. Probably something you don't want to have.

Ford upped the size of the 2.3 to a 2.5 in later years. You should be able to find one of those in a Ranger or a Fox body Mustang. Lots of them taken out of the Fox bodies to put in a V8. Fairmonts and some years of TBirds had them also.

toyota a fella in town has a model T with a Toyota engine , trans and rear end in it, out of a Corolla .. that thing has been every where runs quiet too auto trans

Last edited:
My first thought would be a 22r out of a toyota pickup. Or a Suzuki 1.6l mated to a samurai trans(no adapter needed iirc), the samurai has a 2wd trans and a divorced t-case so you can use it in a normal car. Both of those would be reliable and neither would have enough power to twist the frame.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. A 2.3 would be my first choice so i could keep my vertical pipes and trans. Can't find a 2.3 around here in good running condition on CL. I guess i could start calling the J-yards. I have considered the Jap engines but something that at least says Ford or Chevy on it would give me a warmer, fuzzier feeling. :rolleyes: I just saw a reman 2.3 Tempo longblock on Ebay but it won't work because it is a sidewinder right?

Last edited:
Problem solved

Don't know why it had slipped my mind, but remembered that I have a friend who just happens to have a 2.3 turbo engine from an Xr4ti, so put these two fellows together and e-man will have his engine! [cl

SBC,easiest and cheapest, just sayin' Just picked up a 305/th350 for $100 that runs mint for my latest project. There's a reason lots a people us 'em.

Latest posts

Back