Your thoughts?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyster36

My first rat build was a 30 Model a sedan. Built it while my wife was pregnant with my first son. She spent a lot of time in the shop with me on that build. The day I sold it she was so upset that she went for a walk while I was making the deal. Car sold he drove off. I've kept in touch with the owner and have seen the car at several shows in the past 7+ years. Always reminding him if he sells it to give me first chance. Well the time has come. It will be for sale and he has contacted me about buying it. My ? Is, should I buy it back? Knowing there is several changes I'd make knowing what I do now after several builds since. I sold it for 10 and can buy it back for 12. I can build another cheaper but is it worth it for sentimental reasons?

I'm thinking you need to be asking the wife for some input [S I know surprises are cool but that's a lot of money if she's just not that into it any more.
My though, good luck with it.

After consulting with your wife and yourself, you could listen to us. My thoughts are, anytime you can get a nice running Model A hotrod for 12,000 you should grab it before the other guy sobers up. It's up to you, how much sentiments are worth, [2 to 4 thousand dollars] on top of the cheap price of 12. Sentimental value is big for me, I have bought back 1 JD tractor, a '68 Super Bee, and a '47 Ford truck.

I sold it for 10 and can buy it back for 12. I can build another cheaper but is it worth it for sentimental reasons?

Depends on what you like doing. I know lots of guy who just love the build... they build one & sell it almost immediately & move to the next one! I've only sold one in the last 10 years but I owned it for 7 years & am fixing to build my next one although I'm considering selling a couple more now since I live further out of town. I've changed the idea of what I want now but like houses... once I'm done with them... I move on & don't look back. Mrs Tripper cries when we drive past one of our previous homes... I sort of divorce myself from them! Although... there are a very few cars & homes I regret selling! I guess the main question is if you'll be satisfied having a driver or will want to build something new?! Tuff choice but do what your heart &... err... your wife tells you to do... haha!!! Just my .02! :D

BoB

Well she's all for buying it back. I have a sedan body and title to build and would probably pay for most of the one for sale.

Good question Skip, and we'll need many pictures to prove 36 isn't just conning us.
36, your question is about the strength of nostalgia versus personal satisfaction of building. Can you avoid choosing between them and buy your old car back and start building your next one too? Food for thought.

Latest posts

Back