Rat Rods Rule - Rat Rods, Hot Rods, Bikes, Photos, Builds, Tech, Talk & Advice  since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule - Rat Rods, Hot Rods, Bikes, Photos, Builds, Tech, Talk & Advice since 2007! > Fuel systems Q&A!

Fuel systems Q&A! Carbs, injection, tanks, lines, pumps, everything fuel system related!

Old 01-14-2017, 11:00 AM
''Rusty Mopar Slacker''

Billy,

I think your a may be way over thinking this. That carb is sold for lots of applictions. So it has a lot of extra ports.

If you put a vacume guage on the ports one at a time, you can figure out which one(s) are metered and which one(s) are full vaccume. Run a metered port for your vaccume advance on distributor and cap the rest. If you have a brake booster use the large port on the bottom to supply it. Set your Idle where you want it and set the mixture screws where you get the most vacume on a non metered port using your guage.

Not knowing what the engine was out of it's kind of a crap shoot. It may be an old well motor or something. They made a ton of 318s for alot of applications.

If you want to wake up a weak 318 for your rig it will most likely involve a RV type cam, an intake and a carb and a elecronic dizzy that are all chosen to work together.

I don't know that my worthless opinion helps but it's something to think about.

'47 DODGE SHOP TRUCK

48 DODGE Pilot House Rat

MIND OVER METAL
SO LITTLE MIND IT DON'T MATTER
Old 01-14-2017, 04:02 PM
Builder Junky!

Billy, I was wrong about the vacuum line to the distributor on a Carter carb. Here are some pictures of the plumbing on some Carters. The side port does go to the distributor. The small back port goes to your 'choke pulloff' pot. That little pot pulls the choke partway off as soon as the engine starts and there is vacuum.
Sorry about scaring the wits out of you with my opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1785.jpg (100.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1786.jpg (84.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1788.jpg (71.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-14-2017, 11:03 PM
Motor mouth ratchet jaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-R-POPS View Post
Billy,

I think your a may be way over thinking this. That carb is sold for lots of applictions. So it has a lot of extra ports.

If you put a vacume guage on the ports one at a time, you can figure out which one(s) are metered and which one(s) are full vaccume. Run a metered port for your vaccume advance on distributor and cap the rest. If you have a brake booster use the large port on the bottom to supply it. Set your Idle where you want it and set the mixture screws where you get the most vacume on a non metered port using your guage.

Not knowing what the engine was out of it's kind of a crap shoot. It may be an old well motor or something. They made a ton of 318s for alot of applications.

If you want to wake up a weak 318 for your rig it will most likely involve a RV type cam, an intake and a carb and a elecronic dizzy that are all chosen to work together.

I don't know that my worthless opinion helps but it's something to think about.
THAT IS WHAT I NEEDED!
clear simple instructions that i can methodically follow.
Thanks!