1950 GMC build after 31 year slumber

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a windshield gasket, just went to check to see if I had the lock strips - I might, but if so, they are buried under Ford parts. If you get stuck let me know and I'll look harder.

I do have two 1/4 windows (glass only), door/window trim, headliner bows, and a lot of misc trim things. If you need anything I might have it.

I started with the 1/4 windows as well - never could get them in. I went on to the windshield, got one almost in; then broke it. The glass guy I found, took about 5 minutes to get the 1/4 windows in. He cut a new 1/2 windshield and charged me less than I paid mail order.

I had a windshield gasket, just went to check to see if I had the lock strips - I might, but if so, they are buried under Ford parts. If you get stuck let me know and I'll look harder.

I do have two 1/4 windows (glass only), door/window trim, headliner bows, and a lot of misc trim things. If you need anything I might have it.

Cool. I'll keep it in mind. Of course the quarter window I was putting in is patched with the roof section so maybe I got it a tad small? I'll mess with later. I have 3 days off in a row starting tomorrow...

Lucky bugger....

Cool. I'll keep it in mind. Of course the quarter window I was putting in is patched with the roof section so maybe I got it a tad small? I'll mess with later. I have 3 days off in a row starting tomorrow...

working both New years eve and Day.....could take some time off but that holiday pay looks good....at least to the wife....lol...:D

I measured the 1/4 window glass with the rubber on and concluded it was too big for the opening - but the same glass came out of the same hole. I thought maybe the rubber was too big. But everything went right in for the installer. I'd be surprised if your repaired opening wasn't dead on.

working both New years eve and Day.....could take some time off but that holiday pay looks good....at least to the wife....lol...:D

Right there with ya SGT! I was on Xmas eve night shift and right back in for the Xmas day day shift...Ugh[cl

I did manage to pick up my PCM mount from the dealership. it is an 02 era S10 4.3L PCM mount. Works good for the 0411 style PCM's (most common 1999-2006 PCM EG: 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L LS based motors) and it is a flat mount. Even better is the $14.95 price tag new (list is only $21 for those who don't have the GM dealer hook up).

I used to be that GM dealer Hook up Guy...lol

I did manage to pick up my PCM mount from the dealership. it is an 02 era S10 4.3L PCM mount. Works good for the 0411 style PCM's (most common 1999-2006 PCM EG: 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L LS based motors) and it is a flat mount. Even better is the $14.95 price tag new (list is only $21 for those who don't have the GM dealer hook up).

Man...hated working doubles....haven't had to do that for a few years....thank God... I don't think most people know that sometimes dealer prices...even list are less than some aftermarket prices......:D

I succeeded in finding the windshield stainless trim in the pile of parts. Forgot it was actual trim and not the lock strip like the other Windows.

And completely failed at installing it. 2 more hours gone and all I have is some mangled trim to straighten [S

Thank's for the tip on this. I hadn't thought about needing a mount.

I tackled the rear locker that I have a total of $17 in it. Some reason an 8.5" chevy rear diff from a 92 ZR2 S10 is different from an 8.5" rear diff from a 90 C1500 and the center spacing was a bit wide on the Powertrax locker I got for free. I added extra shims to the sides to bring it in a bit more but it is still a bit too wide. I guess I will just have to run it until in grenades and replace it with an Eaton style chuck as funds pick back up. I did button the rear back up, add fluid and start rebuilding the rear brakes. Nothing picture worthy

Excellent build thread ls power is right on going to go through both your build threads later. Can't wait to see more on turbo car.

I tackled the rear locker that I have a total of $17 in it. Some reason an 8.5" chevy rear diff from a 92 ZR2 S10 is different from an 8.5" rear diff from a 90 C1500 and the center spacing was a bit wide on the Powertrax locker I got for free. I added extra shims to the sides to bring it in a bit more but it is still a bit too wide. I guess I will just have to run it until in grenades and replace it with an Eaton style chuck as funds pick back up. I did button the rear back up, add fluid and start rebuilding the rear brakes. Nothing picture worthy

I've run into the width of the ring gear mounting flange being different between the lower speed gear ratios and the higher speed ratio carrier assy. That may be your situation.

I like your way of thinking. Run till it breaks, there's a lot of fun to be had until it does

I've run into the width of the ring gear mounting flange being different between the lower speed gear ratios and the higher speed ratio carrier assy.

This is one of the lockers that just replace the spider gears as apposed to a complete carrier. The series of the carrier didn't change. All you need to do is poll the spider gears and install the locker. This is why I'm not sure why 2 8.5" carriers would be different widths inside the carrier themselves...[S

This is one of the lockers that just replace the spider gears as apposed to a complete carrier. The series of the carrier didn't change. All you need to do is poll the spider gears and install the locker. This is why I'm not sure why 2 8.5" carriers would be different widths inside the carrier themselves...[S

Me either.
With that said... I GOT NOTHING!!

Because GM

I ran into something similar with the LockRite I put in the D35 in my '93 Jeep Wrangler (YJ). I got it used from someone who pulled it out of a TJ, which has a slightly different D35. It was always really loud when it engaged, then it got to a point where it had a lot more jerk when it engaged. It had sheared a pin & so I had to pay more to get spiders put in (I was on a trip in Moab at the time) than the locker cost in the first place.

-Chaz

Well I got the locker for free and the spring kit was $17 with shipping. If it explodes then I'll just go to an Eaton style clutch posi which will be more street friendly anyways.[cl

Latest posts

Back