1950 GMC build after 31 year slumber

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of the lockers that just replace the spider gears as apposed to a complete carrier. The series of the carrier didn't change. All you need to do is poll the spider gears and install the locker. This is why I'm not sure why 2 8.5" carriers would be different widths inside the carrier themselves...[S
They are the same in the area of the spiders, the difference is where the ring gear bolts on.
One carrier accommodates a ring gear from 4.11 up to 3.08 and the other from there up to like a 2.23 a pretty good salt flats ratio :eek:

They are the same in the area of the spiders,

I can tell you for a fact they are not the same in the spider gear area. I'm well aware of the series 2 and 3 carriers as far as the ring gear thickness etc. This locker just replaces the spider gears and the 90 C1500 8.5 chuck is wider internally than the 92 S10 ZR2 8.5 chuck hence my frustrations....Looks like the 90 chuck is about .200" wider than the 92. They both should be 30 spline 8.5" ring gear rear diffs...Should. [S

Well sort of...my father in law has stopped by and has been rebuilding the rear brakes. Once that is done I can drop the bed on it and get back to getting the glass in it and finish the wiring

So I got a free minute or two to actually work on the 50. And as a bonus I was blessed with the opportunity to argue with my TIG as well...as usual Ineed the frame table to marry a C5 vette chassis with a 70 K5 blazer...long story. I'll let you follow along with that later. So I got an aluminum 3.5" elbow, trimmed 1 leg and added a support stand to it. My father in law finished up the rear brakes for me.

Glad to see the GMC getting some attention.

A couple years ago I put a serpentine belt set-up on the '53 SBC. To think that for the same or less money (probably not much more work either) I could have put a 5.3 in it, is irritating.

Patience Pat, Patience....I only have time for 5 projects at a time![cl

Man, isn't that the truth. I've got three going plus started a new job so playtime in the garage has been sparse to say the least. Of course I have been looking at my 99 Astrovan and thinking a 5.3 LS and a 5 speed would really be cool in there............

So I guess you can call this progress. I needed to clean up out back by the garage doors for snow removal. The 50 GMC bed was in the way as was the 72 K5 blazer body. So after finally finishing the garage door reconfigure I started a year ago I was able to move the bed onto the rear of the 50 with the help of my crane. I can't seem to find the right rear lug nuts but I'm sure they are in the mess somewhere! Lol Anyway, now I can start getting the bed bolted onto the frame.... maybe next year... Lol

Latest posts

Back