Bertha

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way cool, dude!

I'm thinking the Chieftain should get this same treatment! Thanks for the inspiration, or maybe the added confusion. LOL [dr :D [cl

I feel that there are a lot of benefits to this setup. Power steering, heavy modern suspension, big disc brakes, a suspension you can find parts for anywhere, dirt cheap! It may be a little more work than for some things, but it also was a free piece and something anyone else could probably find for about the same price. In reality, I don't think it was that hard to do.

way to go Neverdone..........what the plan on the steering, RP?maybe

Currently the plan is to use the stock gearbox that is in position with a shorter drag link. The motor is planned to sit farther back and a little higher so clearing that should not be an issue. Need to go get my steering column so that I can throw that in and get a better feel for it before the full decision has been made.

Burnt the frames together some last night, outside edges all done, some of the other spots also done. Need to start cutting up my scrap stuff to build plates and close in the rest of the stuff. Put the fenders back on last night so I could sit the gravel pan up there and get a look at where the frame will get cut off. Need to fire up the blue wrench again and move some stuff to get a more accurate look at it though.

Front bags and mounts due in today. Picked up motor mounts and trans mount so I can start looking at getting that set in to position next week!!! Hoping to get a lot of frame stuff done this weekend!

Are you going to have room for a motor?

Absolutely. It is going to sit a little farther back than the stock location would have been. But the bell housing of the trans will still fit between the frame rails. Also the new frame really is not any narrower that what the original was. Just shaped a little different.

For the folk a little uneasy about what was done....
IMG_20150116_190958_056_zpsa4apyfdf.jpg

That is the old frame laying on top the new one. As you can see, the old frame is not any wider than the new one. The pic may be a little deceiving but it truly is not. The crossmember in the middle has a long way to go before I am done but I am confident in what is happening.

Not much progress last night. Cut the old core support brackets off the front, welded in the front cross bar and removed the brace from the front so the frame is now open. Bags showed up and fab brackets. All the stuff was ordered from Chassis Tech Suspension and I must say that I am very pleased with the quality of the brackets! This will make the control arm work much easier than things I have done before.

Spent a little time last night with the old girl. Got the shocks and springs out of the front and set it back down so I could start figuring out the front bags. Set the front fenders on it again to check clearances and see how well it is going to tuck. Pretty certain that if this was not on the table it would go down to the dirt. This seems to be going fantastic in my opinion! [knock on wood] Tomorrow I plan to go over and steal my new steering column from the donor truck so I can start getting the steering lined back up. Then I need to start reworking the cross member and finish up welding the front frame.

I have also been praising God for my $75 big blue lift table!!!! That thing has been amazing for this project!

couple pics

IMG_20150117_201837_699_zpsructkkqw.jpg

IMG_20150117_202145_067_zps1mgsfwik.jpg

[;) [;) [;) [;)

Cut the old motor mounts off, did some cut grind and weld and grind and cut and weld and grind some more to beat the cross member in to submission. Still want to do a little more for adequate oil pan clearance, but for now it seems to fit in pretty well. Bolted the motor to trans, and slid in for a test fit. Cut out a lot of the trans tunnel due to height issues. Going to be able to reuse the mount the previous owner had put in for the 500. Just had to add a hole for the trans mount. Seems like the shifter is going to be in the right position, need to find a seat for a proper check on that one.

Went back to the parts donor truck and stole the tilt steering column, going back probably friday to harvest the master cylinder and booster.

Started mocking up some mounts for the front air bags, need more materials to get that mess moving. Still need to get a compressor and air tanks. Has anyone on here used the AC pump method for an air compressor? Really don't want to deal with an electric compressor this time. Been reading about York AC pumps, guess they are internally oiled so you can just use them as an air pump. Then use the stock clutch on one and hook it to a switch. Seems like a good method, I like the idea. Also trying to figure out what I want for air tanks. the rat rod only has 5 gallons, don't think that will be enough for this. Thinking about 8-10 gallons on here. Any thoughts?

IMG_20150120_172648_082_zpsi2dknewv.jpg

IMG_20150120_172659_154_zpswhrbqul3.jpg

Has anyone on here used the AC pump method for an air compressor? Really don't want to deal with an electric compressor this time. Been reading about York AC pumps, guess they are internally oiled so you can just use them as an air pump. Then use the stock clutch on one and hook it to a switch. Seems like a good method, I like the idea. Also trying to figure out what I want for air tanks. the rat rod only has 5 gallons, don't think that will be enough for this. Thinking about 8-10 gallons on here. Any thoughts?

The off-road guys use Yorks to power on-board-air (OBA) all the time.
A quick search should get you half a dozen decent builds to follow.
-Chaz

My home unit was a York compressor with the clutch welded together for several years. It took a while to fill a 50 gallon tank, but I used it with my impact and a paint gun until I could afford a real compressor! I always wanted to try one of the old Chrysler V twin compressors, you'd think they would be twice as fast.

My home unit was a York compressor with the clutch welded together for several years. It took a while to fill a 50 gallon tank, but I used it with my impact and a paint gun until I could afford a real compressor! I always wanted to try one of the old Chrysler V twin compressors, you'd think they would be twice as fast.

Ain't nothing wrong with using whatcha gots!!!

From what I been reading the york 210 or one of the older ford rotary compressors is the best for air ride applications. I just like the idea of not needing a massive battery and HUGE alternator! I have a 150A on the rat and no not appreciate it.

Looks great!

That cross member under the pan is really narrow...could you have raised the motor some to gain clearance or not? It's hard to tell in the pic but that split is that where you notched it? Anyway....looks like you are making headway...nice job...[cl........by the way, had time to go back thru some of your other build threads....that tear drop is wicked cool....nice work.....again[cl

That cross member under the pan is really narrow...could you have raised the motor some to gain clearance or not? It's hard to tell in the pic but that split is that where you notched it? Anyway....looks like you are making headway...nice job...[cl........by the way, had time to go back thru some of your other build threads....that tear drop is wicked cool....nice work.....again[cl

Have no fear Sarge! The motor is just sitting there and after final installation the motor will be around 2-3 inches higher. I just stuck a couple bolts in the motor mounts and set it down to get a feel for what I am working with. But there is probably a good inch and a half between the pan and cross member. I plan on opening up the cross member more just haven't got around to it yet. I started fixing the top to smooth it out, haven't got to the bottom yet. The original plan was to replace it, decided the other day just to fix it.

Glad you like the teardrop! That thing is a blast! Sleeps well, tows well, makes the shows more fun too!

But yes I am pretty happy with the progress thus far!!! Nothing done last night but looking and staring and figuring and stuff. Hope to get more done tonight or tomorrow.

[;) [;) [;) [;) [;)

Went parts shopping at Ratchet041's house again. Harvested the 60-40 split bench, little tight but it fits, brake booster and cylinder, a clutch master cylinder for mock up and clutch pedal, window wiper motor, a go button, and a Holley 4 squirter. One of my favorite things is that everything on this build is readily available if need of replacement in the future. It is all half ton chevy truck parts available at any parts shop!

Not much done otherwise. Started burning in lower bag brackets. As soon as those are done I will move on to the uppers! Then get motor mounts built!

Latest posts

Back