1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Engine sounds good Glen.
About the wheels, I have seen the offset changed before by doing what you suggest and cutting the centres out and re welding them. I have also seen guys mount the wheel backwards after machining the lug holes to accept the nuts.
Not sure if that is an option or not with the offset you have.

Thanks Gunz, ya the wheels won't fir backwards tried that already.

Leave it, It looks okay. After a while you won't even notice it.
Glad to see you are on your feet and you got the engine fired.

Hope your feeling better, I went thru the stent thing with my dad ten years ago. Defenatly makes you feel better when the hearts able to pump correctly.

X2. Better to have a bit too much room than not enough....

Glad to hear you're doing ok! I go with the leave the wheels alone ideas from before...

Thanks Guys, I'm going to follow the advice and leave them the way they are.

Wheels on a hot rod are like Women's underwear... you're always pulling them off for a different look...

Leave them alone for a while and drive it[P

Looks like there is room for some way wider wheels and tires when you decide to change things. :D I agree that it looks just fine as is.

Wheels on a hot rod are like Women's underwear... you're always pulling them off for a different look...

Leave them alone for a while and drive it[P

Great analogy, :D

Looks like there is room for some way wider wheels and tires when you decide to change things. :D I agree that it looks just fine as is.

Thanks Guys, getting a little more done slowly, will post some pictures this afternoon.

I think they look OK too.
That said, yes you can cut the centers out and change the backspacing.
I've done it before.
If you can do it yourself then it's fine.
If you have to pay someone to do it then it's not cost effective.

I think they look OK too.
That said, yes you can cut the centers out and change the backspacing.
I've done it before.
If you can do it yourself then it's fine.
If you have to pay someone to do it then it's not cost effective.

Thanks Old Iron, I'm going to run em like they are if it bothers me to much I will attempt to move the centers.

Last trip to the city I picked up one of those cheap Princess Auto/Harbor Freight
bead / flange rollers on sale for $139. made the required modifications.

I then put it use building the floor.

I bought one of those same bead rollers from KMS tools here in BC - my home made one works better! Too much deflection when in the frame, I see you solved that with the angle iron welded on, also the steering wheel is better than the crummy crank they come with, did the same thing on mine.

Looking really good.
I have the same bead roller as well and will be doing the those modifications.
Just returned from the south back to the great 'not so white' north and will be getting back to my project soon.
Uncanny how I have been thinking about how I'm going to do the floor for the last week and I open your thread basically showing what I have been thinking.

Lookin good Dozer!

Thanks

I bought one of those same bead rollers from KMS tools here in BC - my home made one works better! Too much deflection when in the frame, I see you solved that with the angle iron welded on, also the steering wheel is better than the crummy crank they come with, did the same thing on mine.

It works very good after the mods, and the old steering wheel makes it so you can run it yourself.

Looking really good.
I have the same bead roller as well and will be doing the those modifications.
Just returned from the south back to the great 'not so white' north and will be getting back to my project soon.
Uncanny how I have been thinking about how I'm going to do the floor for the last week and I open your thread basically showing what I have been thinking.

Thanks Gunz, yup not much of a winter so far, I'm sure that will change though. So far I have used the entire trunk lid, the middle section of the hood and half of one door panel off the old Caprice for the floor. A guy sure learns some new skills when he tackles one of these projects.[;)

Can't believe how long it takes to manufacture what you think is going to be be real easy;) Got the upper and lower brackets figured out for the steering column. The fire wall replaced and the back of the cab closed in from where the rumble seat was cut off.

Wow...you're really comin along on that quick.
Say......I've got a turbo 350 tranny if you want it. Not sure what condition it's in. I mean it looks clean and the fluid is really clean. If you pay the shipping, you can have it. Attached are pics.
I traded another engine and transmission for it and a 350 engine. The guy I got it from said it worked but you know how that can go.

Attachments

• trans 1.jpg
    trans 1.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 18
  • trans 2.jpg
    trans 2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 17
  • trans 3.jpg
    trans 3.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 16
  • trans 4.jpg
    trans 4.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 17
Wow...you're really comin along on that quick.
Say......I've got a turbo 350 tranny if you want it. Not sure what condition it's in. I mean it looks clean and the fluid is really clean. If you pay the shipping, you can have it. Attached are pics.
I traded another engine and transmission for it and a 350 engine. The guy I got it from said it worked but you know how that can go.

Thanks so much for the offer, with the way our dollar is currently it would probably cost $300. to ship it up here. I did get a good TH350 out of my Caprice donor car.

The visor looks good Glen. Can't be too much longer before your out terrorizing Dollard.

Thanks Gunz, oh there is lot left to do, still gotta tear it all apart and finish welding the frame, just waiting for a master cyl to arrive next week, once it is in I can figure out the brake lines and install them while it's all apart.

Latest posts

Back