"Secret Willys Revival" (My chopped '53)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a little progress tonight towards getting the cab back on. Finished up a little grinding here and there and ran some Duraglas filler on the seams of all the patches.........

257fiberglassingmypatchesLarge.jpg

.....probably falls under the category of "filler abuse" but I wanted the seams filled a little better than I could do with paint alone. Now if I were looking to buy this truck and saw this stuff plastered all over the bottom of it I would probably pass on it but hey, I've owned it for 30 years and I'm not building it to sell or to win trophies so a little "filler abuse" over some solid patching is okay with me :eek::D I'm really looking forward to getting the cab back on this thing so I can start putting things on to stay!

To be continued,

Ray

I used cans of rubberized undercoating on the underside of my truck. It sticks very well, gets in cracks and crevices, sound deadens a little, and provides good protection from the elements!! If I remember right, it was a 3m product!

Worked on the cab floor some more.....and speaking of "filler abuse", I decided the Duraglas was a bit rough so I smeared a little Bondo over it :rolleyes:

258alittleplasticfillerLarge.jpg

This evening I took a 40 grit flap disc to the Bondo....

259grindingplasticLarge.jpg

And then blocked it out some with 60 grit.....

260blockingwith60gritLOLLarge.jpg

....turned out pretty good, especially for underneath. When I get to the exterior of the truck I will probably take it a step further and "buff it out" with some 80 grit :D

So, as usual I'm not quite where I'd hoped to be at this time but I'm making steady progress. In fact I've worked on the truck 35 out of the last 42 days! I try to do a little something every day even if it's just studying on something and making a decision.

Last word for this weekend's progress.......... PRIMER!

261bottomofcabinprimerLarge.jpg

I used cans of rubberized undercoating on the underside of my truck. It sticks very well, gets in cracks and crevices, sound deadens a little, and provides good protection from the elements!! If I remember right, it was a 3m product!

Yes, the 3M is good stuff but it boils down to buying something or using something I have laying around........so it's Rustoleum this time :eek:

To be continued,

Ray

Well guys, as I was finishing up in the garage tonight I realized that I "fibbed" to ya last night when I said the last word on my progress was "PRIMER" :eek: Actually the last word was same as the last word tonight.........."lacquer thinner bath" :D

paintyhandsLarge.jpg

.....however if you look closely you'll notice that tonight I was washing off black instead of red [cl

263bottominblackfirewallinwhiteLarge.jpg

....lots of nooks and crannies under there but I think I got everything pretty good. Now to wait for some poor unsuspecting soul to wander by so I can talk'em into helping me set the cab back on [ddd

Pluggin' along,

Ray

wow, a willy's

BloodSweat&Whiskey /KillBillet Location: Lake Villa, IL
-------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhat current. Just pulled the 5 cylnder Deutz and fitting a 6 cylnder Deutz just in the past few days. I have a thread on the build if interested.[S

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=9764

some insperation[ddev

Later:cool:

Attachments

• Willys 2.jpg
    Willys 2.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Willys.jpg
    Willys.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 39
Sort your nuts and bolts! (A good beer drinkin project) .......

A while back when I was building my battery box I mentioned my various containers of mixed nuts and bolts. Sam Fear suggested that I sort them......said it would be a good beer drinking project :D Well, since I'm ready to set my cab back on and am now just waiting for some help I decided to take Sam's advice and sort my nuts and bolts tonight!
Only problem was that before long I was too drunk to distinguish a nut from a bolt so I took a break from that and checkered my firewall..........

269curvycheckeringLarge.jpg

......:eek:[S:D Hope to set cab back on tomorrow evening!

To be continued,

Ray

I like how you made the checkering like a banner. looks good! Drinking Bolt Upright beer is Nutz!:D

Pretty stoked tonight! After my chores (mowing) I grabbed the "Stoned Badger" and zipped off the rest of the drip rails on the sides of the cab while they were in a good position to get at. Then I rolled it outside and spun the cab around in the right direction........

270RolleditoutsideLarge.jpg

.....and waited for it to get dark. Okay, I was waiting for my sister and brother in-law to show up :D So with them helping me lift and my wife snapping a few pics we proceeded......

Love the look on my brother in-law's face in this pic.....and he had help with his side, LOL

272LarryMadonnaandItiltingcabLarge.jpg

.....down it goes

273downitgoesLarge.jpg

......scootch it around a bit to line up the front mounting holes

275twistitaroundalittleLarge.jpg

.....crawled under to see if my new rear mounts hit okay and to make sure my inverted cross member w/driveshaft loop DIDN'T hit anything :eek:

276lookingtoseehowIdidwithmountsandcrossmemberLarge-1.jpg

.....all is well and the cab is on!

277wowthecabsbackonLarge.jpg

Hey, it's starting to look like a truck again!

278startingtolooklikeatruckagainLarge.jpg

......you know what that means......time to go for a spin!

279bettergiveitasitLarge.jpg

Sure feels good to have it looking like this again. Fired it up for my sister and brother in-law to hear and it still has some blow by but it didn't smoke as bad as the other day. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will clear up eventually.

Well it's late and I still have to roll it back inside and clean up my mess.

To be continued,

Ray

Latest posts

Back