Rusty Buchan's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the old spring perches out of the zephyr front end. First one came out pretty easy but the other one took alot of heat and pounding. Trying to figure out how to figure out the front spring. I got some model a springs but there not wide enough. I was thinking about going to a local shop and getting a new main made, but i got to try and figure out how to measure for the spring.

You got a Merc bed and a Merc cab, I think you need to find a early 70's F100 (m100?) roller chassis and you'll have a full truck.

shhhh thats another project for another time. Im trying to work out a deal for a ton and quater dually rolling chev truck chassis for that merc cab. I have no shortage of projects. i need to finish my model a.

If that is a 65-66 cab, it will bolt down to a early 70's Ford frame - same with the bed. Not sure that holds true with big truck cabs though.

Patina get yourself a speedway motors catalog they will have everything you need including directions on how to measure for your spring.I have the same axle on my 37. ford used that style axle from I, believe, 35 through 48. Ford didnt use "juice" brakes until 1940. Mine was the original 37 with mechanical brakes.I pulled out my trusty Speedway catalog and bought the adapter kit for GM(Cadillac) disk brakes. In fact I used a 78 Cadillac as my donor vehicle. Mine has the Engine,trans,differential,& front calipers on it.Here`s a picture of how I "suicided" my front axle

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 15
Jason How you make out after with the spring..The boys going to make you one? Jason has to watch it he tend to spend alot of his time looking at projects!! lol.. you need to spend less time looking and more time build!! lol

hahaha got lots done today. they said they would call when the spring done. Also did some welding and what not.

i got a cadolog from speed way. I made a order all ready but i thought i had thr right spring but i never bothered to order one.
I am getting a new main made and use the existing leaf pack

So fill us in? what were you welding today?? Was thinking about your rearend set up too.. should look around and check out different 4 bar setups.. I think that is the easies way to go with that car.. Maybe build a old school 4 link from Tie rods!!

Havent been poking at the car as much as i should be. But i picked up a 56 f100 that i'll probly finish before the car. Any who here is a minor update.
Still waiting on the shop to reverse the spring eye and take some ofthe bow out of it.

324079_10151946420140473_1223380323_o.jpg

hahaha yeah... too nice to be inside all summer bad enough working 60 hours a week at a job i hate. I have lots of free time in the winter. weather is getting cool and work is slowing down so im getting the bug again. [;)

wheeewwww that drive shaft looks short!!! lol!!!! I have definitely seen worse though! Seen a guy with a v8 in a jeep wrangler and his was only 9"!!!! LOL

I got bored today so i lined up the cowl section ad hung the door and quater panel. I'll do the other side next week i hope. One of my friends was throwing out some sheet metal off a 70's land crusier so i grabbed it for over the door section. Its a little of but with some banging it could work real nice.
car1.jpg

had to test fit to see if my good looks will blend in with the car :D
car2.jpg

I still got to knock it down 6 inchs... but i wana get all the sides on the car and braced up before i go back to choping the rest of the car.
car3.jpg

561476_10152137335775473_1592051957_n.jpg

I was worried about windshield height, but thats not a concern to me any more.

Still got the driver side left to chop as well. Im getting more excited about the car as it's starting to come together.
468047_10152137716385473_90163645_o.jpg

477958_10152137737780473_2024174094_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back