Silly Rad Question..Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
This may be one of those duh questions.
What is the best, most common way to mount a grill shell and radiator. Does anyone have some pics or how to instructions? This is done on every rod but I have never seen the subject covered in any detail.

Here is mine. I didn't want to run supports from the grill back to the cab. But that is a good option. 4 bolts hold the shroud, radiator is bolted inside.

Attachments

• 292.jpg
    292.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 72
Depending on what kind of car, it can be mounted in various ways. If you are talking early Ford type of radiator and grille, the radiator usually has two mounting feet that sit on top of each rail. A rubber insulator goes under it and a bolt passes through into the frame.

Stock Fords went one step further. The bolt was longer and had a coil spring on it to act as a shock absorber. As bonehead said, you also will probably need some rod or supports at the top to keep the radiator from blowing backward when underway. I have to build those yet, but here are some pictures of my T and how I mounted it.

Don

Attachments

• t radiator mounted 001.jpg
    t radiator mounted 001.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 52
  • t radiator mounted 002.jpg
    t radiator mounted 002.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 53
  • t radiator mounted 004.jpg
    t radiator mounted 004.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 52
Here's yet another way to mount a radiator. This radiator drops between the frame rails so I mounted on uprights that run up each side of the radiator. I just made the uprights out of angle, but I've also made them out of round tube with flanges welded to the tube before.. As for the grill shell, they can be mounted off of tabs on the radiator, and/or bolted to the fenders or frame depending on the situation.

What I did

I assume were talking a radiator in a rat here,
Its just like everything else on a home made vehicle ,you fig it out as you go. I used the radiator out of the donor Fiero and built a frame to support it ,this frame also became the attachment point for the 38 chevy grill that i used.. Yeah we had to do it twice to get it right , but it does not look like an add on now. Trial and error is how its done.

Latest posts

Back