Ackerman Principle and the Rat Rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2T

Still running with scissors!
the smallest town in the smallest county in the s
I've noticed a few people here are building there own frames...........When it comes time to install the front axle ass'y you might want to take a look at this site. http://www.nationaltbucketalliance.com/tech_info/chassis/ackerman/Ackerman.asp
This guy does a very nice job of explaining the Akerman Principle...........I don't know if this info has been posted before, but it's worth looking at.
Hope this helps someone.

Yep, that is a good article. When I built my T ackerman sort of went out the window. With the lowness of the car, and all the stuff I have behind the axle, there is absolutely no room for the steering arms behind there. So I had to mount them up front. Not nuts about that, but no choice.

However, I figure with all the T buckets running around with arms out front, it will be a minor issue. I might get some scrub on turns, and accelerated tire wear, but I just have to live with that, I guess. At least my caster, camber, and toe in are right.

Don

Attachments

• t tie rod painted 004.jpg
    t tie rod painted 004.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 77
Same here, still working on longer arms that turn out as far as I can get them without hitting the tires. But until then, I am in the same boat as Don.

I saw a guy on the HAMB, Bonehead, who made arms that curved outward at the end to position the mounting bolt for the rod ends way outboard. Is that what you are thinking about doing?

Don

Yes, The way I understand it the closer you get to a straight line from the middle of the rear centersection , to the joints of the tie rod, and king pins, (or what ever you have) the better your Ackerman will be.
I have some doubt though, after dealing with as many 4 wheel drive front ends as I have, most of them are not Ackerman correct. I think I'll try it.

If you can get the tie rod ends out to where that "line" is parallel to the wheel, it will work. Many sports cars have no "Ackerman", since it works against you when in a powerslide. The car in the above photo has negative Ackerman, which is a big no-no. Tire wear will be bad. Handling will be unpredictable, it may work on good surfaces , then go all strange on dirt, or whatever.

Latest posts

Back