Suicide Type Tube Front X-Member ?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigd4xman

I've decided to run a suicide front spring setup with the 37 bones and axle I have and tuck the axle back under the very front of the frame horns. I need to know WHAT SIZE PIPE or TUBING and what WALL THICKNESS I need for using the crossmember as the spring mount. I am going to retain the stock crossmember for extra torsional rigidity and for the radiator mounting location and good place to build grille mounts.

The strongest would be chromoly. 2nd would be D.O.M.
Next would be schedule 80 pipe, then schedule 40 pipe, then EWT tubing. There are many others, heavywalls, drill stem, and the list goes on.

Since we are talking about a length of tubing that is only 28 inches long or so, schedule 40 should work. Dia, minimums of schedule 40 would be 2 3/8.
I would rather see you go up to 2 7/8 to 3 inch. But it starts to depend on looks at some point.

Since it is hard to find 2 7/8 or 3 inch DOM in small quantities, I just buy my ready cut tube from Total Performance, at like $ 25. It has the advantage of slipping inside 3 inch box tubing and is just the right length for most applications.

Part number F103471

Front Cross Tube 23 1/2"

$25.00

Plus, their perch fits right on it so it welds right up.

Don

Latest posts

Back