Question about an unusual front end set up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
Lets assume for a min that structural engeneering and fabrication are not the problem. My question is with the function. I will try to explain it.

Take the typical solid front axle with the spring behind and hairpins.
extend the hairpins and push the axle forward say 8" leaving the spring and frame where they are. Now mount the ends of the spring to the beefed up extensions on the hairpins.

Like I said, assume the stuff was bullit proof and strong as an ox. How would this affect the handeling?

I have seen this done. I have seen the spring shackel mount bolt mounted thru the split wishbone several inches behind the axle.

Its a cool look but is it kooky? Dangerous?

Well Dog, we have all seen that setup. I know there are a few on this board that use it and I am sure they will chime in soon. The problem I see is the spring is pushed back away from the axle, or the axle pushed foward, this will in effect lessen the spring rate. The wishbones act as a lever.............If any front end was gonna pogo down the road it should be this one. It would need a stiffer spring and good shocks. I have never built a front end like this but from what experence I do have I don't think it is right ,for ME. Let's hear from the guys that know first hand.

I am with Tom on this one. Leverage is the key word here. Lets forget about structural engineering, because it can be built to withstand the force, but look at it as a "seesaw" of sorts. The fulcrum is the spring. The lever is the hairpin. The thought I have is the multiplication of force on the spring because of the length of the lever.

Yep, I understand the lever arm reducing the spring rate.
I dont quite understand the panhard bar reducing turning radias.

Maybe the way to do it is with quarter eliptical springs. How do they perform?

Thanks Guys.

I don't believe a panhard bar would reduce turning radius. Only the increased wheelbase.

The zipper track roadsters have been using eliptical springs for years. 2 of my friends have them and they handled fine. Both cars use friction shocks.

I meant you might have to use a panhard bar because of the increased distance of the front axle from the folcrum (side to side movement) it wouldn`t effect the radius but the increased wheelbase will.

Here is a Zipper front end.

Attachments

• zipper motorssmall.jpg
    zipper motorssmall.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 173
We used to call that a suicide front end. Suicide spring, suicide perch, and suicide mounts. They work on a light car---I used it on my Chevy II fourbanger bucket---but I would be leery of it with anything bigger, maybe a flattie.

springy

Acctually a flathead v8 is a very heavy engine. I don't know the numbers off hand, but I've had a flatie and a small block Chev on an electrict hoist and the flattie far out weighed the chev. I would say by and easy 100 lbs.

Acctually a flathead v8 is a very heavy engine. I don't know the numbers off hand, but I've had a flatie and a small block Chev on an electrict hoist and the flattie far out weighed the chev. I would say by and easy 100 lbs.

Ford Flathead V8 with iron heads = 525 pounds

Small block Chev with iron heads = 575 pounds

The flatty is actually lighter than the SBC by 50 pounds. A typical SBC with aluminum heads weighs in at approx. 525 pounds. Same as a Ford Flathead with iron heads.

Latest posts

Back