1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a great plan Doc, I have the same problem I have a vision in my head and the ability to make it happen, but couldn't put it down on paper if my life depended on it.

I think the way you kicked in that console for seat clearance gives it a really nice look, very hand formed. In these tight cars you have to do what you have to do sometimes, but you came up with a great solution Doc.

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet there'll be some cussing ahead if you put that console in before you get all the stuff up under that dash..just sayin!

Thanks for your comments, guys.
icon14.gif

Available space is a constant, nagging female dog. It often feels like we're building a large scale model, where proportions are much smaller than we think or expect, over and over and over again...

We have not fit wipers, heat or anything else under the dash except the brake pedal... so as smallfoot said, it can't be a permanent fixture. We also need full access to the shifter and we'll be running wiring through the same narrow channel. With those things in mind, however the console turns out, it'll be a bolt in trick and easily disassembled.

Good thinkin! Your work area is a ballroom compared to the cab on my 31, but even with the seats completely out of mine, my console is always in the way when it comes to looking under the dash. Not complaining about the looks! I see what you're doing and it'll look great..

Thanks smallfoot. :D

A little update:

Thursday, I received a package from the flunkies at TCI. The package contained 1.5 pounds of pieces we already have and 0.0 pounds of the pieces we're missing. I guess the picture I sent was too difficult to comprehend, so I sent a new message in several formats... braille, sign language, video with closed captions and a full description written in Mongoloid Chinese. :p

Back to the car. We decided to go full length with the console experiment. It's quite slim and kind of useless, but we figger it'll look better than an open void. We also want to create an armrest of some sort, which has to be attached to "something"...

We formed a few more pieces and tacked them together. With the perimeter defined, we're happy with the look, so far.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A little tight to the seat, huh? There's a 1/4" gap we created as a bit of an afterthought. With the seat slid forward, that plastic chunk interfered, so we did a little Z pinch to clear. You can hardly see it but it's there, just from the black line back.

attachment.php

Again, we're pretty happy with it. Next, we'll fill the open spaces and make a removeable bubble cover for the shifter, similar to the paper version seen here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dash console23.jpg
    dash console23.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 46
  • dash console25.jpg
    dash console25.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 47
  • dash console26.jpg
    dash console26.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 46
  • dash console12 .jpg
    dash console12 .jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 48
Consoles are a different animal to get like you want. You guys are doing a good job using what little space is available.
[P[P[P

Thanks guys.

Some days, we spend more time scratching our heads than anything. [S

We found it necessary to make the console and shifter cover two separate pieces. No matter how you hold your tongue, it's impossible to assemble or disassemble in one piece, due to the shifter and its T-handle. The problem is access to the tiny hairpin retainer indicated below. It's difficult to install with no cover whatsoever, much less blind.

Today's hand model is the incomparable Mr B-tard, shown holding the loose cover in the rough cut opening. Our plan now, is to attach the cover to the shifter body, then continue with the console "plate".

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• dash console28.jpg
    dash console28.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 70
  • dash console29.jpg
    dash console29.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 70
  • dash console30.jpg
    dash console30.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 71
Thanks guys.

Dozer, the people at Palmolive aren't ringing the phone either. :D

Mac, careful as we tried to be, the seats were getting dirty the first day we worked with them. It's nice to have seats that don't need new upholstery, and it's a pain to have seats that don't need new upholstery!

Latest posts

Back