No sour grapes..... buttttt

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Folks, I was all excited about a local car show here in Richmond Hill, GA last weekend. The guy hosing it told me there would be all kinds of wierd looking rides there and that I would fit right in. So, I offered to help sell 50/50 tickets and do what I can to make the show a success. I get there, and there is not one ratty there but me. All cars were muscle type cars, and fully restored pickups. There were even a few bikes that showed up (I'll get to that in a second). The locals just loved the ol 48, and I had a blast showing to folks there. One of the car guys even asked if he could throw a tarp over my truck so folks would look at the other cars there. haha
So, i gets down to the final award presentation, and they are giving out placks for the top 40 there. Guees what got included in the top 40? You guessed it, a 2010 STOCK Fat Boy , with stock paint.:eek: Of course the ol 48 didn't get nuttin, and that's ok. At least most folks were surrounded by my truck. hahaha I should have known when I was told that only participants and entries at the show could vote. Oh well, had a good time anyway.

I hate seeing new cars / bikesat shows. They aren't anything you can't see at a Walmart parking lot. I don't enter any shows but enjoy looking at most other's cars.

Oh, there was some fine looking rides there that's for sure. I had a ball looking at them. I just seem to see mostly check writers standing beside their cars, instead of guys who really work on their cars. There were some , but not very many.

We have had some of are best show like that with all Shinny's
It's a game now try to park next to the guys with the biggest EGO pull in park right next to them open the doors let all kids an Moms get in crawl all over are rats get pics honk the ooga horn than we get thanks we really love your car as Mr Ego stands at attention all day making sure no one touches his Shinny heck no one even looks at it as they walk by it sure is funny
Don't let get to you have fun with it

EF em. Keep representing the rat movement and keep giving the public what they want. You even said that the voters were the car owners themselves. Did you really expect them to vote for a guy's rat that didnt have as much in the whole car as they have in paint? NFW! Heck with em. Do what makes you feel good. I go to just cruises and there are no judges, no awards. PLENTY of bling, beautiful cars and trucks, and only recently has the rat made an appearance thanks to a member here by the handle of Ol Skool. And no one gets their nose in the air about anyone else. There seems to be an honest atmosphere of appreciation for nice rides, as it should be.

Hey you went there had a good time with people taking an interest in your truck. That what counts. If you start trophy hunting you will not have as much fun and lose what you are all about. Believe me I been there once.

I have gotten a couple of top 20 awards form the local shows, but I don't ever expect one from a "serious" show. You know, the kind with mirrors under the cars, etc. Those guys are not looking for what the crowds are drawn to, they have scoring criteria they follow to the letter. Rats end up in the custom class, and there is alot more work in many of the customs. I can't say anything bad about some of those works of rolling art.

Rats !

one of my best friends is a "street rodder" and he hates ratrods. He helped me build mine and grumbled the whole time....i loved it.
The thing i enjoy the most is a "road trophy". A thumbs up from a driver at a traffic lite...a smile from a lady in a mini van...kids pointin' and gigglin' at my skull shifter stickin' up over the dash. Thats my kind of car show.
Enjoy being different....not like all the rest. Shineys aint no fun. I know, i've had some.

I've never understood why anyone would enter a brand new or nearly new car that was stock either. Last show I went to a 2007 Mustang took a trophy, and it was just like any other one you could see on any used car lot in the country.

It is also very interesting to see what non car type spectators find intriqing at car shows...."Oh look, Harry, he put stuffed animals clear across the package tray!" [S

I don't know, maybe I'm just burned out on car shows. :eek:

Don

I guess I am guilty some time. Sometimes if I feel lazy or just did not have the time to get one of the older cars out I will take my 2003 Harley Davidson Ed. F150 to some of the cruises. But then again I my put the trailer behind it and pull some of my choppers to the cruise. Yes one of the bikes is a 2004 but you would never know it by looking at it.

My friends car took best antique at last Sundays show. Here are pictures of it.

Attachments

• toms car 006.jpg
    toms car 006.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 35
  • toms car 005.jpg
    toms car 005.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 43
The last show i entered my truck in was a joke. Most of the cars were production corvettes, mustangs, challengers, and camaros. (all new) Now how the heck do you judge cars like that, do the guys with the cool aftermarket floor mats win?

They stuffed my truck in special interest WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY in the back lot. Some examples of other vehicles in my class were: '94 Chevy 1/2 ton painted white w/hugger orange vynel stripe on the hood and sunvisor w/ matching fastback, 2008 F350 lifted on mud tires with chrome shocks.

I looked at the judging sheet and you got points for chrome, fire extinguisher, wheels, engine bay.... I didnt even have an engine bay!!

"I looked at the judging sheet and you got points for chrome, fire extinguisher, wheels, engine bay.... I didnt even have an engine bay!!"

Well, no wonder you didn't win![ddd...CR:D

The last show i entered my truck in was a joke. Most of the cars were production corvettes, mustangs, challengers, and camaros. (all new) Now how the heck do you judge cars like that, do the guys with the cool aftermarket floor mats win?

They stuffed my truck in special interest WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY in the back lot. Some examples of other vehicles in my class were: '94 Chevy 1/2 ton painted white w/hugger orange vynel stripe on the hood and sunvisor w/ matching fastback, 2008 F350 lifted on mud tires with chrome shocks.

I looked at the judging sheet and you got points for chrome, fire extinguisher, wheels, engine bay.... I didnt even have an engine bay!!

Oh God, that's hilarious!

I like the "road trophie" comment - that's what I really like too. I really enjoy taking the car up to the local watering hole and watching passers-by stop and look at it and the people around the neighborhood giving thumbs-up and snapping cell phone pics.

I've only entered 1 car show - the Autorama last year, but I was bored after an hour. Probably my last, unless its a small neighborhood show where I could pull in for an hour, drink a beer and jet out. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Latest posts

Back