Time to Chop - opinions wanted

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
Getting time to start the cut-n-paste.
When I was looking for a car, I had a specific idea.
In fact I was looking for a 40 Chevy 4door, but ran into the Olds - cheap.
But the plan is still essentially the same - serious chop and section.
I have a good idea what I think looks right.
But after looking so long at chop pics, I fear I've lost perspective.
Tell me what you think.

10 Random pics representing varying degrees of chop/section.
'I like it the way it is', is not an option!
It will be cut up - it is written in stone and that stone is in the Library of Congress.
IMGP9834chop6sec5.jpg

IMGP9834chop4sec2.jpg

IMGP9834chop5sec4.jpg

IMGP9834chop4sec5.jpg

IMGP9834chop0sec5.jpg

IMGP9834chop6sec2.jpg

IMGP9834chop4sec0.jpg

IMGP9834chop5sec5.jpg

IMGP9834chop4sec4.jpg

IMGP9834chop0sec0.jpg

Thanks.

I like the milder chops, so that you can maintain some drivability,... hate to spend all that time building it and not be able to enjoy driving it..

Y'all surprised me! I figured everyone would lean toward the mild side. Most of you like the heavy cuts. Originally I was going to go as extreme as possible, #1. But lately I was toning it down to #9. Now I'm thinking 3,4,or 8. Thanks fellas!

And this is how they are cut:
1. 6"chop - 5"section
2. 4"ch - 2"sec
3. 5"ch - 4"sec
4. 4"ch - 5"sec
5. 0"ch - 5"sec
6. 6"ch - 2"sec
7. 4"ch - 0"sec
8. 5"ch - 5"sec
9. 4"ch - 4"sec
10. stock

10, what are you crazy? do not cut this thing up, its a classic!!!!;)

4 or 7 would be my choice. I like a chop where you take as much out as you can without getting into the radius' on the windshield(if that made any sense)

Have you ever thought about taking some of the crown out of the roof? I bet you could lose a couple inches right there, same amount of work. But something that isn't done everyday.

10, what are you crazy? do not cut this thing up, its a classic!!!!;)

4 or 7 would be my choice. I like a chop where you take as much out as you can without getting into the radius' on the windshield(if that made any sense)

Have you ever thought about taking some of the crown out of the roof? I bet you could lose a couple inches right there, same amount of work. But something that isn't done everyday.

That sounds interesting, but how would you accomplish that?..Definately would be different!.CR

Just imagine chopping the top from above the doors up. You cut out the desired height, and add the strips of steel like a regular chop, back in to gain the width you need.

It can be a hard thing to do depending on the car.

Latest posts

Back