Rat Rod mistakes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think threads like this are good, lots of people just don't understand but if they see it getting discussed, they might have an Ahah moment.

I agree & typically let threads like this run until things become personal... that's where I have to draw the line! I put a MII on my truck because I love the way they handle but it's covered up with fenders & as everyone knows... I'm not a big traditionalist! :eek: I'm also not a big fan of unflattering proportions of many of the trucks being discussed here but hey... to each his own. On a similar thread like this one, Don summed it all up showin' examples of what gives the hot rod it's beautiful proportions & that really brought that into focus for me which I appreciated! There are many, many choices we all make as we build our cars/trucks & if this type of discussion helps someone make a good choice... that's what the forum is about! Well... maybe some of you are still lookin' for those cheap watches, purses & sunglasses! :eek:

BoB

Tripper, do you have a link to that thread where don summed it up?
Thanks for letting us express our views here. It seems most lessons begin with a bad example, or how not to do it. Considering that it was someone's build, there's always the risk of hurt feelings I suppose.

Tripper, do you have a link to that thread where don summed it up?

If it was longer than last week... ummmm... probably not! :D I'll look but think it was one I post of a truck like this one that had the rad way out in front of the front axle!

BoB

I dislike all rat rods only because I do not have one yet. LOL Seriously I can appreciate the work it takes to have a running driving rat or hot rod but not everyone should be building them due to safety issues. Some people are perfectly happy with a piece of crap looking car or truck, just not for me. Unrestored sheet metal with a nice restored drive train and chassis would satisfy me.

I think its better to give some positive feedback when asked for it, rather than start a thread where people may become offended. It's a friendly site here, I'd personally like to see it stay that way.

For some builders, the budget is more important than achieving "correct" appearance, whether it is proportion, fit and finish or driveline. Maybe hitting the road is most important. Or using the parts that are out behind the shed. Whatever the reason, the proportions of the build could take a back seat to these other factors.

I'd rather see a fenderless cab on an S 10 chassis with the radiator way out front than have that guy be a spectator. Maybe that fellow's next build will be "Rat Rod of the Year".

I have a buddy that has a chopped and channeled 35 chevy cab on a S-10 frame. he built it almost 2 years ago and he has been driving the sh?t out of it, it looks all wrong to me but he is having a ball with his rat! but in that 2 years he has been saving money and buying and building a frame Zed front and rear with a superbell axle, disc brakes front and rear, 454 motor and a th400. My point is he has been driving his rat and having a great time instead of waiting for the perfect build. this winter he is putting the body on the new frame.

My thoughts

I know everyone has different opinions of what a Rat Rod really is. I really do not like the looks of IFS on a fenderless vehicle. I think that the old straight or drop axles are a beautiful thing. I will say that I would rather see IFS than some of that Shock Rod crap that rolls into car shows. I am sick of rolling out houses and coon tail rubber rat- crap cars. Let's keep it traditional and build it so it looks period correct. I know sometimes we are forced to build low buck rides with the parts we have-----that is cool. My thing is leave the toilet seats, coon tails, rubber rats and out houses where they belong!

I decided to build a rat because I'd have more fun driving it than block sanding it. Some guys would rather drive a nose heavy rat instead of wrestling with building a front end. I get that.

Here you go again! People have a right to their own opinion and I personally don't think this thread is out of line. Yet!

Like WB said, some people have style and some people don't!

Toad

The main problem I have is, someone owns that truck being picked apart!!
Care to put your's on and let us pick it apart? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back