Tire Speed Ratings

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neto

Looking at some snow tires for our family car (AKA “my wife’s car”). Before now, I was unacquainted with the “Speed Rating” part of the tire code. But I am still not sure I understand it, at least in the case of the tires I’m looking at.

Here’s the specific tire: Bridgstone Blizzak DM-V2 P235/65R17S XL.
Which is the speed rating, the ‘S’, or the ‘L’?

Why this tire? The car (2019 Honda CR-V EX-L) comes with P235/60R18 tires. I want to drop down to 17” steel rims for the winter tires.
Why the smaller size? Somewhat lower cost, more tire height, used 17” steel rims available.
Why steel Rims? Avoid the reaction between the normal aluminum wheels and the steel it’s mounted to. The much lower cost. Personal preference – I don’t like the looks of aluminum wheels. (I’m weird that way.)

Re: matching the tire sizes: The tire size comparison:
P235/60R18 – 91.4” circumference; 693 revolutions/mile
P235/65R17 – 91.1 circumference; 695 revolutions/mile

So this specific tire comes up in the tire size matching charts, by both circumference and by Revolutions per mile. BUT, it is not available in the ‘T’ speed rating for passenger cars – this particular tire is designated for ‘light trucks’ (by which I assume they mean ‘Pick ups’, which in my upbringing and dialect are not considered ‘trucks’ – That would mean a 1 ton or more.)

Notice in the speed rating chart that the ‘L’ designation has a top sustained speed of 75 MPH. We don’t drive that fast in the snow around here, and have the street tires for Summer time. But if the ‘XL’ is not the speed rating for this tire, then it is an ‘S’ rated tire, and there’re no more questions in my mind.

OR, Would you all suggest just sticking with the 18” tires for both Summer & Winter? (I can purchase 4 new 18” steel rims for about 4 times the cost of the 4 used 17’s – $300.00 compared to $75.00.)

Attachments

• Tire Speed Rating Chart.JPG
    Tire Speed Rating Chart.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 5
Now I see that the 'XL' is the Load Range Rating.....**

BUT, any feed back on the question of downsizing the wheel from 18 to 17?

As long as they clear the brakes and everything else, I don’t see a problem with it. Just reverse of the go up to the next size crowd.:D When I bought the last set of tires for my F150, I bought a set of 265/65/17 versus the 265/70/17 it calls for, the 65 series turned out to be the same diameter and saved me nearly $300 !

Yes, the S is the speed rating. XL means extra load. Keep an eye on load ratings, the higher the load rating the stiffer the tire sidewall will be.

If you want to downsize that's your choice, no problem as long as the wheel clears the steering and brakes.

The only input I have is that I have run Blizzaks on a half dozen front wheel drive cars. The tires are awesome in the snow and ice. They are a very soft compound and wear fast on dry pavement. They are also a little squirley in handling on dry especially when the road is not cold.

If I had another car verus my SUV I'd for sure run them again. My experience is the narrower the better for snow tires.

I'm big on the oversize tire look so I am running oversize Falken Wild Peak's on my SUV. Very good in the snow and wear very well.

Latest posts

Back