IronHead

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearhead10

Well I've finally went and done it. I bought a Harley, 1980 IronHead Sporty. It came with a new king tank, fatbob rear fender and a bunch of extra parts. It runs and rides and has a peanut tank and stock fender on it now. A buddy of mine had it and he just got a shovelhead and so he gave me a deal on it. He put it all together last yr and rode it all summer. Problem is now I gotta put my binder project on hold for the time being, still got the model A to cruize in though. I'll be postin some pics as soon as I get her home.

Nice!!

80's are pretty good years ran through a few of them over the years and the were all pretty good bikes.Thank god it is not a 79 those were a pain in the ass! Congrats [cl

I had a '80 that I rode to Sturgis in '94 from South Louisiana. When I got back I bored it over .030 12.5 to 1 pop-ups, triple angled the valves, chromed it out, 10 1/2 flh shocks, apes, 21 front wheel and satin black with red scallops and painted the engine red where it wasn't chromed. It was a mean Sporty. I bobbed the front fender and the back fender right at the stock taillite and added a tombstone. Helped show off those Avon Speedster tires--I still miss that bike!!! John T.

Well I finally got her home last weekend, been busy with the new baby. I got some pics taken today before I took it some what apart. Went to a bike swapmeet today and got some goodies for it. With the weather finally startin to look nice I'm gettin the itch to ride. Here are a few pics, she's gonna look alot different when I get the new tins I got painted and bolted on. The bags I just got today also, so I had to see howd they look.

Attachments

• DSCI0151.JPG
    DSCI0151.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCI0147.JPG
    DSCI0147.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Photo002.JPG
    Photo002.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCI0150.jpg
    DSCI0150.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCI0149.JPG
    DSCI0149.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 34
Must have on Rear Fender...

All Sporty's should have a RATFINK on the bike.. add pin striping to the max! here is mine!
A:D Aloha-Terry

Last edited:
Well, I got it done and started ridin yesterday. Man what a blast to ride! Sometime this summer I'll paint the new tins but for now I'm gonna ride it wth the tins that are on. Got about 12 hrs of polishin done, I think my fingerprints are gone:D. Here's a pic of it all shined up before I took a ride.

Attachments

• DSCI0158.JPG
    DSCI0158.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCI0157.JPG
    DSCI0157.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 19
I love those Ironheads! I've got a 75 XLH that I restored and mildly customised. I fell in love with Sportsters in the late 60's when I watched a friend of mine shut down a new Plymouth Roadrunner in a street race! Have fun with your new 'toy' and watch out for the 'cage' drivers. Drive defensively and always assume they don't see you!

34 Chevy 3 window coupe
75 Sportster XLH custom

Ironheads rule!

Here are some pics of my 75 XLH...

Attachments

• Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 13
I have an Evol now...

I have an Evol now...2005 with carbs...but there is something special about an Ironhead...the look is just "right" and performance is okay too...The Big Twins never have to wait on me when we are riding around....but I do have to stop for gas every 100 miles...but that is okay too, that is the same time I have to stop for a pee break too!
;)

New paint job

Figured I'd show ya all some pics of the paint job. I did it back in Aug but been too busy lately to take pics. Its GM bahama blue with Chrysler cream white. I did all the work myself, even the striping and lettering. The front fender got bobbed 6" and I got rid of the peanut tank and put on the king tank. I also got the fatbob fender on rear instead of the sporty fender. I love the look of it now, almost has a bobber look. I rode it for the last time for the season last week :(, so I took some pics, enjoy!

Attachments

• DSCI0322.JPG
    DSCI0322.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCI0323.JPG
    DSCI0323.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCI0324.JPG
    DSCI0324.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back