Will a 53 Chevy P/U pull a 2 horse trailer?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyfireman

I am looking for a Rat project and I am in need of a truck for around the small farm I live on. So I decided I will combine the two. What I am wondering is if an old chevy would be able to pull a two horse trailer? What do you guys think?

Mikey

Lots of newer six cylinder trucks pull horse trailers, my '66 Ford 240 pulled a two horse for twenty years with no problem.
How do you think horses got to rodeos in 1953? Haha.

Most of the 6 cyl trucks of that era were farm trucks and were geared accordingly. That should be no problem but you won't be passing anybody! :eek:

Beercan

Thanks guys! I figured as much. Just did not want to get something that would not work for us. Now I just have to talk the wife into it!

Mikey

How far would you be towing the trailer? If u're gonna use it for that... I would make sure the motor, brakes & clutch are in good shape.

BoB

I would also update the brakes and add a trailer brake controller. Too many people not paying attention on the roads nowdays.
Tim

i had a '50 3600 w/ 235 backed by the 4speed. It came with 5:somthin gears. The thing could pull down a barn without touching the gas. If you dont think the engine is adequit then there is still good aftermarket support for that engine. Or you could always throw in a 350...

Like said before, dont expect to pass anyone. Unless you live near some Amish farmers......then again.....

Ditto to HB4008, other than mine's a '48 3800, 5.14 gears. The stock 6 is fine around the farm, but pulling a trailer up a hill is going to feel like you're tied to a big anchor. Go for a souped up 6 or a V8, you'll be much happier. Don't ignore the brakes either...electric brake setup for the trailer would be a good idea if it's not in place already.

You will also want a vintage horse trailer. I mean, it could pull a newer one but.........

I agree,, Mikey needs to start keeping a eye out for a cool trailer to use,, and of course, make sure it's roadworthy too.

Attachments

• 100_1252.jpg
    100_1252.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_1254.jpg
    100_1254.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back