Opinions wanted

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
Ok, so I finally scored a canned ham, mid 50s Pathfinder. Now I am looking for something to tow it with. I've been wanting a 57-58 Ford pickup forever and that is one option but realistically most of these got pulled by cars and the trucks back then were designed for work, not comfortable cruising. I'm leaning more towards a sedan or wagon. I do know where there is a 60 Olds flat top that could be resurrected, I think it was parked with the tranny out.
What kind of car would you choose? (this isn't a money is no object choice)

I would say what ever you want.... I would hunt for a early 50's Chevy pickem up but that is my preference. Or maybe a long roof of some sort....

When I was a kid, Pop pulled our 57 Scotty trailer with his 60 Chevrolet car. I believe it was a 283 backed up with a powerglide. Never had no bad times with it. Towing wasn't a problem with our flat land....

1. If you are wanting to relive the past with this delectable find, then a long roof of the mid 50's and no later than the late 60's would be the ticket.
If the 57-58 Ford pickup is your dream then, by all means get that. We only go around once in this world :cool: [P

I've always been partial to 59 Pontiacs myself, but the 60 Olds was a nice looking land barge also. Would be great if it's a 2 door.

Yeah, a wagon is a great idea. I suppose it will depend on what comes along. I also know where there's a pretty decent 64 Lincoln. I have seen a couple of the squarish mid 60s Ford "woody" wagons on the vintage camper forum, look cool.

Well WB, ya' know you will want to bring stuff along with you. You won't be the typical snow bird we get here that only comes south in the winter to watch TV on the patio.:rolleyes: I'm thinking 1/2 ton panels and suburbans. The '66 Suburban i had was a comfortable ride.

I'd say the Ford trucks are out unless you change out the suspension. Rough for long hauls. The Olds would do well.

Here are a couple of pics of my former towing panel.
Little different direction than the one that Earthman posted.:D
Front buckets were moved back slightly but not as much as you would expect.
If comfort is what you are looking for I would go with a station wagon or an 2 wheel drive suburban. I have had a few of both over the years and you can't beat them for towing and for comfort.
Long wheel base makes for a smooth ride/towing vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 15
My ol man pulled our 21' Starcraft pop up camper all over Gods creation when I was a kid. He pulled it and six kids ( me facing backwards) in a 63 Impala station wagon .

Hey WB, I agree with the panel & wagon ideas, but this 63 Bonneville in Sioux Falls just screams cooool! Price is now at $9,000-maybe a bit above what you wanted to spend, but you're getting a lot of steel for it. Less than 28,000 miles, power brakes and the 389 won't have any troubles pulling your can. Just look at the ghetto booty on that thing! [dr

More pix & info here: KELO 63 Bonneville

NDgw

NDgw

Pulling a camper would be a good use of a 4dr.

Yeah, I'm not a big 4 door fan but for a camper I could make an exception. I'm kinda leaning more towards a wagon or panel. I did spot the carcass of a mid 50s IH Travelall close by. It was missing the front clip. Here's the flat roof

Attachments

• devils tower 34 chev 024.jpg
    devils tower 34 chev 024.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 13
  • devils tower 34 chev 025.jpg
    devils tower 34 chev 025.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back