Child restraint laws in SC

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read previous post why grand child was in car! You meean to say , you never been w/o a seatbelt? If you are my age or older you have...Does that make your Mom and dad bad parents?? just asking [S

splitn2,
Thanks for having the courage to post this question. The topic is very important and there are hundreds if not thousands of us that would be un-prepared (lack of safety restraints) in this same situation. I have a box with new safety restraints sitting on my bench that have not yet been installed. I've only logged a handful of miles without them because I've only been "dialing it in". They will be installed before any more "dialing in" takes place.

I am not stereo typing, but its seams that ALL the negetive post/replys are ALL canadians!!! Why is that??:confused:

Firstly you are trying to stereotype but are wrong.
Read the threads again and instead of reading what you want to see,read all the negativity from U.S.based posters.
Then my good man look at my screen name and figure out what nationality I am,although admitedly I do reside in the Great White North at the moment.
I have been in cars in the 60's and onwards that were not equipped with seatbelts and don't consider my parents bad for that but with todays volume of traffic,the amount of drug/drink influenced drivers and cell phone/texters on the roads I wouldn't dream of taking my kids or their kids in a car un- belted.
Like it or not that's my opinion and until such times that I have no right to state it I will whenever I so choose.

I am not stereo typing, but its seams that ALL the negetive post/replys are ALL canadians!!! Why is that??:confused:

I'm stereo typing
mk_productfeatures_nek4k.jpg
right now, see my keyboard...

I think it's a crime in Canada to be negative. they have to go somewhere else to blow off steam. They have to be nice in while in Canada, when I'm there they all are pretty cool

.....wrong forum.....

....if it has belts I always wear them, but as a kid I survived many a trip to Florida laying in the back window of my dad's old sleds. We also rode our bikes without helmets, shot BB guns without safety glasses and even played with lawn darts...man those were the good old days.

glad to hear they dropped the ticket...sorry to know that they have charged parents with abandonment for not having their kids picked up at school on time.

Not too long ago it was considered prudent to not drink quite so much if your driving...
famous blasts from the past...

"I know I'm drunk so I'll be more careful"
"I'm in control this isn't any worse than just being tired"
"My experience impaired exceeds your's sober"
"unsafe? I drive impaired all the time and nothing ever happens"
"I'm just really tired from working 80+ hours this week...It's not like I'm drunk or anything"
"I only need my glasses to read but not when I'm driving"
"I'm too old to pass the driving test but not too old to drive safely"
"Licencia?, Seguros? perdón tengo que correr!!!!"

Last edited:
FACT........he did not break any law and the officer didn't know any better.

OPINION....................Should have, could have, would have. You know what they say about opinions, Yes we all have them.

I just think that it is sad that this cop gives, this man a ticket. Has to take a day from work (wages lost), gas there (cost), parking (cost), probably had to buy lunch out (cost). The cop was wrong and he walks away and got paid to show up in court. It was thrown out of court and it still probably cost him $200. I think if the cop makes a gross misjudgment he should have to pay this guy back. He would think twice next time before harassing someone over nothing. If he was not sure of the year of seat belts he should have called in to check.

I been in these shoes several times, and it sucks. I just don't have much respect for law enforcement officers. If you or I make that big of a mistake in our business we would have to make it right.

RPM you shouldn't judge all of one group by a single action...

All people make mistakes...cops, doctors, lawyers, plumbers, mechanics, everyone.... cops are people too... their job is to enforce laws (rules) not everyone likes those rules.... it's easy to critisize them all because one makes a mistake....

If I remember correct I think your FACTs are a bit askew.... the fact is that the driver didn't have a seat belt on and it is not required in that vehicle... no arguement there....I believe the officer did not cite them for the child seat violation... something that could have been done but if I remember correctly was not.... Many times an officer will write one citation for multiple offenses.... example... you are speeding....but you also were not wearing a seat belt....(in a car that requires it).... the officer writes the seat belt ticket but not the speeding ticket to give the driver a break.... is that wrong too? Should he be required to write both and not use their own descretion? A cops job is not one that is high on the popularity list.... they make arrests, write tickets and enforce laws.... not things most people like.... but it's their job....you can't always be somebody's best friend.... but I believe most cops try to enforce the laws fairly and equally to everyone.... I would guess that your lack of respect for cops is due to some personal situation... I'm sorry if that didn't work out or if the cop was rude or unprofessional....as I said cops are people too.... maybe his or her day wasn't going very well either....JMHO

The issue got resolved in court,maybe the officer was trying to make a point in an unsafe situation and figured the court can sort it out. Seems to me the system worked. Seatbelts were installed,tickets didnt have to be paid,everyone is safe now.

Hope this reply was not too negative.

Love ya Man!!!

The issue got resolved in court,maybe the officer was trying to make a point in an unsafe situation and figured the court can sort it out. Seems to me the system worked. Seatbelts were installed,tickets didnt have to be paid,everyone is safe now.

Hope this reply was not too negative.

Not negative at all.... you are right.....[cl

All people make mistakes...cops, doctors, lawyers, plumbers, mechanics, everyone.... cops are people too... their job is to enforce laws (rules) not everyone likes those rules.... it's easy to critisize them all because one makes a mistake....

JMHO

Yes all people make mistakes. If the mechanic makes a mistake he has to fix it at his expense, if the plumber does not fix the the leaking faucet he has to come back and fix it at his expense.

The cop makes a mistake and the poor guy that got the ticket had to pay!

Yes all people make mistakes. If the mechanic makes a mistake he has to fix it at his expense, if the plumber does not fix the the leaking faucet he has to come back and fix it at his expense.

The cop makes a mistake and the poor guy that got the ticket had to pay!

Bravo! Totally agreed, and a big part of why I think many cops do not learn from their mistakes. Yes, it was resolved in court, but all that mess should not have been necessary. These things not only affect the innocent party involved with court and other costs, but it costs ALL of us in tax dollars when things like this happen. I know I have been told that ignorance is no excuse for the law, so why is it ok for an OFFICER of the law to be ignorant? I have bad days all the time, but it doesn't mean I'm not responsible for my actions, especially when I am being compensated for them. Should the cop be required to write every violation and not use his discretion? No - because that is is his job to make that call. It is also his job to know the law, especially before writing a ticket for something he obviously knew nothing about.

The alternative is no police at all! Don't think anyone would like that scenario! I wouldn't. I have had my bad experiences with police just as i'm sure most have had, but the majority of the police do a good job. Maybe they're not as popular as stated earlier but it is a needed occupation and everyone has they're bad days also. So we all try to live with it.

Bravo! Totally agreed, and a big part of why I think many cops do not learn from their mistakes. Yes, it was resolved in court, but all that mess should not have been necessary. These things not only affect the innocent party involved with court and other costs, but it costs ALL of us in tax dollars when things like this happen. I know I have been told that ignorance is no excuse for the law, so why is it ok for an OFFICER of the law to be ignorant? I have bad days all the time, but it doesn't mean I'm not responsible for my actions, especially when I am being compensated for them. Should the cop be required to write every violation and not use his discretion? No - because that is is his job to make that call. It is also his job to know the law, especially before writing a ticket for something he obviously knew nothing about.

OK, so it would have been better if the officer had not done anything and this guy goes on his merry way, someone cuts him off or smashes into his car and the unrestrained child flies thru the windshield. Going to court is certainly much more of an inconvienience then that.

Ok, nobody said police aren't necessary, nor are they a bad thing as a whole. Stop blowing it out of proportion. It was simply pointed out that THIS particular officer was in the wrong. Nothing excuses that, and the fact is this man was cost a considerable sum of money because of that.

While we are talking about facts, let's stick to them. Nobody was hurt, yet alone flung through a windshield. Woulda' coulda' shoulda' all you want, but it doesn't apply to this particular situation. The only inconvenience here is an officer ignorant of the law he is supposed to uphold. I'll bet dollars to donuts he didn't even apologize.

Canadians! Haha...

Latest posts

Back