Building a dolly for my 51 Ford Cab - need advise!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder1

Until I get further along in my build I need some sort of a wooden dolly so I can roll my 51 Ford cab around for storage purposes and to make it easier to work on. Does anyone have any advise or pictures they can share to give me some ideas? Lumber sizes, load bearing capacity for wheel's etc... I don't have access to a hydraulic lift at the moment and moving the cab is impossible by myself. I need to get the cab stripped down of all the rotted wiring & hoses plus a few other things so I need to get started pretty quick on it. It's stored in corner which makes the passenger side impossible to get into. - Any ideas?

I'd really appreciate them!

Thunder1

I can usually find surplus dolly wheels, an old shopping cart would make a good donor. I don't care for using all 4 swivel wheels but it does make them a bit more manueverable at some level. I usually just use 2 swivel as it is much easier to push ut where you want it to go (ever use a cherry picker with 4 swivel casers and try to push a 460 straight ahead while getting over the core support?)
I have just used pallets and put wheels on them before, works good.

It wouldn't take much to build a framework out of 2 x 6 lumber, just big enough to go under the cab, and then Harbor Freight sells dolly wheels in various sizes for not a lot of money (go on sale there very often). 3 inch long sheetrock screws would make it a snap to put it together.

I would think maybe 3 foot wide x 4 foot or so long would be enough to do it. You could turn the 2 x 6's on edge for the framework, then put a couple on their side for the crossmembers and attach your wheels right to those.

I agree with Willowbilly about not using 4 that swivel. My engine lift came with 4 swivel wheels and it was a bear to manuever. I cut the front two off and welded non swiveling ones on the front and it works so much better.

Don

Sample frame pic ...

I built this frame out of double layered 2X4 wood, with a swivel wheel on each corner. It moves quite freely around the garage with a little pushing.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 150
I made my dolly out of a skid, a piece of plywood and 4 Harbor Freight wheels. Quick easy and cheap :) I can get measurements if you like.

Thanks Fella's! I appreciate your suggestions. It sounds pretty simple to do. I've got a Harbor Freight close by too. I'll post a picture when I get it done.

Thunder1

Not to hijack the thread...but I think this is related. About how much does a cab like this weigh? I have a '50 that I want to lift with a chain hoist. I'm not worried about the hoist, but I am concerned about the garage rafters. I'm considering installing a temporary post under them when I do the lift.

If I had to guess I would say under 400 lbs. Some later model cabs might weigh a bit more, and that is strictly a guess.

I put a chain hoist in one of my houses. What I did was run a long 4 x 4 perpendicular to the joists in the ceiling and laid it across them. That spread the load and I made sure I caught some of the wall framework for additional support.I never really felt secure though and expected the roof to come down on me at any time.:eek:

Don

Not to hijack the thread...but I think this is related. About how much does a cab like this weigh? I have a '50 that I want to lift with a chain hoist. I'm not worried about the hoist, but I am concerned about the garage rafters. I'm considering installing a temporary post under them when I do the lift.

I guess it would depend on what the rafters are.2x4 or 2x6.
2 foot on center or 16 on center.

If 2x6 and 16 on center you should not have any problems.If not I would use some type of screw jack support just to be on the safe side.

Just make sure that you spread the load over the rafters and not just on a single one.

Not a problem motorpsykler, and thanks for the information Don. I had wondered myself about how much this cab weighed. I'd say a minimum of 400 lbs. You should have seen the comedy unfold when my buddy and I unloaded it from his flatbed trailer - without any hoist or mechanical help! :eek: The two of us managed to lift it about two inches off the ground and carry it for 8 inches at a time sideways for about 6 feet. Not only was it EXTREMELY HEAVY, IT WAS JUST PLAIN STUPID to attempt it without the right equipment! :rolleyes:

Which reminds me - How the heck am I going to lift it up to get it on the dolly I'm going to build for it? :confused:

Last edited:
I used 2x4`s and harbor freight wheels on mine too , I built mine about 3 ft. tall so I could cut out the rust and weld in the patch panels without sitting on the floor.

I just built one for my 51 F1 cab on Saturday. 2x6 lumber layed flat 4' X 5' with 4 locking HF caster wheels. Its about 10" high. Just something to move it around my shop for now. The cab was on my trailer so I just put the dolly under the end of the trailer and pulled the cab onto it.

Last edited:
2 4 price of 1

Make the legs long enough so you dont have to bend over to work.Its easier to get on a stool or ladder to reach up than it is too work bent over or lying down. Plus when you are all done , throw a top on it and you will have a nice rolling work table.

I just built one for my 51 F1 cab on Saturday. 2x6 lumber layed flat 4' X 5' with 4 locking HF caster wheels. Its about 10" high. Just something to move it around my shop for now. The cab was on my trailer so I just put the dolly under the end of the trailer and pulled the cab onto it.

I need to make sure I get wheels that have enough load bearing ability to hold the cab up. Any suggestions? This sucker is mighty heavy!

I need to make sure I get wheels that have enough load bearing ability to hold the cab up. Any suggestions? This sucker is mighty heavy!

ITEM 90999-1VGA These are like the ones I got from Harbour Freight. are holding up just fine! If you are worried about weight they have higher weight capacity ones (275 and 330) and they just as cheap/inexpensive. They are on sale right now less than $5 each.

casters

Hey Thunder, I bought mine at the same HF near you. They are the ones in the bin up by the checkout register. They do a fine job and I probably have a couple of miles on them so far. They are limited to concrete or asphalt, if your on gravel or grass you will need a bigger wheel.

there is a plan in street rodder for a real cheap body cart bought the wheels on sale at harbor freight and next weekend i'll build the cart for my 59 wagon

Thanks for all your help guys! I'm heading out to Harbor Freight to get the wheels. My cab is on concrete so the smaller wheels should do the trick. I'm really looking forward to getting this dolly built!

Thanks again fella's!

Thunder1

Latest posts

Back