Suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb1

Built For Speed!
Hey guys I am in need of some help. I am starting to plan out my suspension for the 51 international build. I am going to run the cab and make a small flatbed out of wood for the bed of the truck. My overall goal is a very short truck. I am thinking of keeping the front axle behind the nose of the truck and the rear axle as close to the rear of the cab as i can. I am going to run a chevy 350 as a motor if that makes a difference. I am looking for pictures so I can get ideas. Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

:cool:

Pretty broad question but check out my build and a few hundred others in the builds section. Maybe look at the rat rod picture thread. Is this going to be a typical rat truck build, low and chopped?

Ya it should be pretty straight forward, low as low as I can get it. As for the chop not too sure yet. I kinda like the look of the cab the way it is.

Last edited:
Weeeeeeell you got two options... You got static or adjustable... I like air... Gives you the adjustability when you want it... And you can't get any closer to the ground when you're settin on it... Plus it looks purty when you set the frame on the ground at 65mph... ^_^

Fendered? No fenders? Straight axle or A-arms? Transverse, parallel springs or coilovers?

Not giving us much info to go by. You have lots of options. Look through the build threads, read books, magazines, whatever you can find. Once you see what you like and decide what you want we can help you out from there with any questions.

Just don't go fenderless with a-arms.

And keep the frame off the ground while driving! That's just asking for trouble.

fenderless. I have a 51 Ford front axle, so I am thinking about using that from there im not really sure. I know I have a ton of options, but I am wondering with a lighter vehicle what would work better. I want to keep the wheels on the ground. Like I said its going to be a cab, motor, trans, and a wood flatbed. Not too much for weight.

Weeeeeeell you got two options... You got static or adjustable... I like air... Gives you the adjustability when you want it... And you can't get any closer to the ground when you're settin on it... Plus it looks purty when you set the frame on the ground at 65mph... ^_^

So as for air ride do I still need to run any sort of springs or shocks other than the bags?

So as for air ride do I still need to run any sort of springs or shocks other than the bags?

Yes... Shocks will help smooth out the ride and get rid of the bounce... I recommend a slammer shock, pro comp, or belltech shock... Slammer shocks are rated X-firm if you like the really stiff feel...

Yes... Shocks will help smooth out the ride and get rid of the bounce... I recommend a slammer shock, pro comp, or belltech shock... Slammer shocks are rated X-firm if you like the really stiff feel...

I dont want it to be too stiff. Im not going to be running to much weight. Thats kind of my problem. I really dont want the truck to ride like a brick. I have had Hondas in the past that just rode like crap, sure they handled great but rode like crap.

Got any extra parts or pieces sitting around you want to get rid of??

I was hoping you would ask... I have a set of pro comps on my truck as we speak that I'd like to get rid of... Especially the fronts b/c I would like to get the Xfirms as I'm soon to be bagging the front... They don't even have 10k on them... I have a pair of belltechs laying in the shed (really short shocks) and a set of stock rear shocks off of an Xtreme s10...

I was hoping you would ask... I have a set of pro comps on my truck as we speak that I'd like to get rid of... Especially the fronts b/c I would like to get the Xfirms as I'm soon to be bagging the front... They don't even have 10k on them... I have a pair of belltechs laying in the shed (really short shocks) and a set of stock rear shocks off of an Xtreme s10...

What are you looking to get for them? Pictures?

well every thing your selling. I would like to take a look and see what i think about it all. Im not too sure what I want to run yet.

I'll try to lay out all the stuff I got and take pics... I'm slowly gathering parts from... Everything...

Since I've been here I've been trying to think of a way to run air on a suicide front end but I don't know much about them... Since they are a solid "axle" I figure it won't be much different than doin a rear end...

This is what I had in mind... Do a reverse four link and make a bracket on the bottom of the axle coming towards the back and make a bracket out on the side of the frame and put the bag between the two... I could do it if I had gas for my welder and a rat to do it on... Anyone up to be a guinea pig?

Or you could do a reverse cantilever 4 link... Run a link bar on the outside of the frame from the frame to the bottom of the axle w/ a bag plate on it... Then on the frame as far forward as you can get it put a bracket w/ a bag plate on it and put your bag there and that'll connect the frame to the lower 4 link bars for the adjustability... Now for the other 2 links just make a wishbone or a "V" link as I call em and run that from say the engine crossmember up to the front and top of axle...

Latest posts

Back