Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s pretty much what my friend said on the Dakotas, fbp.
I got down and measured my donor and came up with 55.5.
I also show about 4 inches from the fender lip to the outside of the tire.
That would give me a bit of wiggle room but I don’t want the tires to close to the fenders. That would put them at about 2 inches in from the inner lip.
At 58.5 the g body platform is still a better width. I knew I should have kept that Olds. Lol
Thanks for the post fbp.
Torchie

I'm using a ranger rear end that has an offset pinion and measures 58 but if you had 2, you can take the right side tube and axle which is longer and replace it with a left side from the donor, that would put you at about 54 to 55 inches wide.

Enough of the frame...
On to the PS.
As my Dr says. "Some times you just have to lift the sheet and see what's underneath."[ddd [cl
Slightly better then the DS..... I think.:eek: :p [ddd
You can see the patching someone did on the floor. No wonder this area is always rotted out. The floor rolls downward right into that corner.
Pulled off the rubber door sill pad. They supposedly still make these. Last set I saw was $500 for the pair.:eek: :eek:
Peeled off the repro rocker skin. The sill is good but everything else below that is shot.
I will also have to make another 1/4 panel patch like I did on the DS.
Set my new rocker skin on.... Look. It's all done.:p[ddd
Thanks for checking up on me....
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 17
More of the glamour stuff.:p [ddd
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-13.jpg
    2-13.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-14.jpg
    2-14.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2-15.jpg
    2-15.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 2-16.jpg
    2-16.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 12
You've got a lot of "glamour" work to do there.
Got to admire some one like you that's willing to take on a project like that and actually get it done.
Keep beatin on it Torchie!! No doubt in my mind that you'll conquer that beauty and make it a work of art.

You've got a lot of "glamour" work to do there.
Got to admire some one like you that's willing to take on a project like that and actually get it done.
Keep beatin on it Torchie!! No doubt in my mind that you'll conquer that beauty and make it a work of art.
Thanks POPS.
This is what you get to start with when you don't have the funds but still have the desire.(I think.[S)
The light must be really bright at the end of that tunnel, [cl[cl[P[P
" My futures so bright. I have to wear shades." Dozer.:p [ddd
I think I know how you are going to answer Dozer, Torchie.:)
Perhaps just a diplomatic "No Comment" bob.:p [ddd
I've had some question my thinking in regards to patching the floor vs getting new floor pans.
The only pans that I have seen are listed as 49 Plymouth-Dodge. They really don't look like what I'm seeing of my original floors. I suspect they may be for the earlier 49 cars as this was a 2nd series Dodge. And one thing I've learned for sure. The Plymouth and Dodge from this era are two totally different cars. I can't see spending a couple of hundred bucks for sheet metal I will just have to cut apart to make fit anyway.
This floor won't be pretty. It will be strong and sealed.
Perhaps taking a break today to let the sore parts recover....
Thanks for all the comments.
Torchie

I'm with you, Torchie. I don't have a bead roller because all I'd use it for is floors. Which are covered. I know money is an issue for you and many of us. 'Sides, it wouldn't be half the fun or half the challenge if a person had unlimited funds.
On a project as immense as yours I'm guessing you look at a manageable portion every time you work on it and don't look at how much work is left. That doesn't mean you don't picture the finished product in you mind's eye.

Indeed bob.
Just like my truck build, I see what I want it to look like. And then I attempt to make that happen.
What’s the old saying about trying to eat a elephant. “ One bite at a time.”
I’m considering going at it a bit today as I want to keep some momentum going.
Maybe this evening.
Torchie

Bob, I remember teaching myself how to handle big projects by 'eating one bite at a time'. You have to see the whole project, but you have to see daily bite sized chunks too. I think Torchie has you figured out. :D I'm glad you spelled that process out for us to contemplate.

lets call this "Half a bite."

Stared on the quarter panel piece first.
Doing this side a bit different then the DS as there is more of the inner fender well present.
Still lots of rust and crude to cut away.:eek: :eek:
I plan to have this piece at least finished trimmed and tacked in place tomorrow.:cool:[;) [;)
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 21
Thanks gang.
Fitted and tacked in the new panel.
Back cut on the body about an inch to get good full metal for welding up the seam.
Forward to the rocker panel area tomorrow. Debating how much of the old sill I will cut away.
Thanks for stopping by...
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 16