Another 1928 Tudor A-Bone

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, I reread your comment about chopping the top. I like the idea of a forward leaning channeling. Just a couple-three inches maybe. The first time I read it I thought you meant a tapered chop. That would be rather complicated with straight pillars. I didn't say impossible, mind you, just complicated.

Skip,
I did a subtle tapered chop on my coupe & getting the doors to match tested all my skills. Had to redo parts of it a couple times but I've always liked that look on a straight up & down a-pillar car. Talkin' about slice & dice!!!

BoB

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 14
Skip,
I did a subtle tapered chop on my coupe & getting the doors to match tested all my skills. Had to redo parts of it a couple times but I've always liked that look on a straight up & down a-pillar car. Talkin' about slice & dice!!!

BoB
I like the look. Especially when well executed like your coupe. After playing with my new coupe quarter windows, it occurs to me that maybe some kind of similar taper on the door window openings would make for a nice look. I need to think about it some more. As you say, its a lot of work. Unless I can find some outside skins, or even another set of inside trim pieces, I will have to reshape the sedan window openings.

As for the coupe quarter windows, I discovered that the sides are interchangeable. At first I had a matched set, them all of a sudden, I had two left sides. I was ready to contact the seller and complain, when I flipped one over and everything was good again. Wouldn't ya know ol 'Henry would do that. Make one form to stamp out a piece that fits both sides of the car.

Correction: My quarter window garnishes are 28-29. They were sold as such, but marked 1930. 28-9s are the same both sides. 30-1 are R & L. Learn something new every day. I love the internet.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/model-a-ford-inside-window-moldings.1045847/

So, now I am watching for another set, or some skins. I expect I will be making due with what I have, but I really didn't expect to find the garnishes.

I replied to an ad on CL about a windshield frame and a rear window frame. Crickets so far. Good price, too. At least as Model A parts go.

Attachments

• IMG_20210913_151702235.jpg
    IMG_20210913_151702235.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 11
I may need a meeting. A second set of quarter window garnishes just showed up on eBay at an exorbitant price of around half what the rest of the sellers are asking, and not much more than I paid for the first set. I bit.

Now to decide how to fill the hole. :D

Here we go. I like the way the couple quarter window looks in this conversion. Now i have three options for where to put the style line that goes up behind the stock quarter window.

1.) Move it forward next to the coupe window (coupes don't have a style line here, so this would be "more different")

2.) leave it where it is, and fill the hole, or

3.) move it as far back on the side as possible without going around the corner, and fill the hole. I found pictures of sedan deliveries with the style line in positions 2 and 3. I suspect the ones with the style line in position 2 are converted tudor sedans, but I am not sure on that one. Henry did some strange things.

I have also decided that the tack-strip seams will have to get filled in. There is just nothing about them that adds to the visual in a good way. And I will fill the top. A small sunroof insert would be cool if I can find one that is a good match for the curve of the roof. I'm talking about a non opening window, rather than a "door". Perhaps there is a hatch window in something that will fit. Then I would have the surrounding metal too. A back door, or hatch, is on the wish list. Maybe something similar to a VW Bus. I am considering framing up the back end and turning all or part of the back panel into a door or hatch. Making it from a real Model A door is cost prohibitive, to say the least.

Attachments

• QtrWind_panel.jpg
    QtrWind_panel.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 21
  • QtrWind.jpg
    QtrWind.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 19
  • QtrWind_style line copy.jpg
    QtrWind_style line copy.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 19
My second set of coupe quarter window garnishes were finally delivered today. FedEx tracking has had them "in transit" in Portland for a week. I bought a second dash cap on eBay a week after I bought these, and it arrived from the east faster by the USPS, and they have a boss that is sabotaging the operation. (Enough of political stuff...)

Anyway, the new quarter window parts are in about the same shape as the rest of the body. No cancer, but a fair amount of surface rust. The plan is to fit them to look as close to the original standard coupe installation as possible. The rest of the quarter area will be "flat/smooth" for lack of a better term. I did find some complete outer skins from a sport coupe, but they were cost prohibitive to say the least. Like almost as much as I paid for the shell to start with. Pic 1 is on eBay for just under $400. So, I found some pictures that will help me match things up. It will be a bit of work, but I like the challenge.

Now to wait for the next dry spell to take the thing apart and get it inside to work on.

Attachments

• 28CpLtQtrExt.jpg
    28CpLtQtrExt.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 19-51-19 1928 Ford Standard Business Coupe.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 19-51-19 1928 Ford Standard Business Coupe.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 19-53-40 1928 Ford Tudor Sedan.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 19-53-40 1928 Ford Tudor Sedan.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 21
Its all inside except for the sub-floor rails. Hopefully, much panel straightening and customizing will happen over the winter. I found some more clear pictures of the couple quarter windows that will help. Here's one.

Attachments

• coupe quarter windows.jpg
    coupe quarter windows.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 11
Still adjusting to the change in weather. So...

Thinking about the quarter window challenge, I spent some R&D time the last couple days. YouTube fab vids, and paper and pencil time. The pieces I am working with are not exactly designed to do what I want to do with them, but I think I have a plan worked out to turn the inside panel into an outside panel.

Bad Chad is crazy, but some of his fab methods work.

Fitzee's Fabrications is interesting and different. I am considering some of his ideas. More complex, but may be worth the extra work.

I'm still around, but I am having serious motivational issues. Starting to think I needed to start with something more. I always do this basackwards. Too impulsive.

And its cold and wet. Waaa... :D

Anyway, hang in there, gang.

Skip

Latest posts

Back